Turn on thread page Beta

America elects first openly trans politician to state legislature (VA) watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8043056.html

She beat the self described "chief homophobe" who'd held the seat for 26 years.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    "Ms Roem's supporters celebrated with her campaign, having raised nearly $500,000 in donations, much of it coming from LGBT advocates and supporters from across the US. That amounted to around three times what Mr Marshall raised."

Once again, we see that American politics is essentially decided by how much money gets spent. :sigh: Ms Roem's victory was certainly well-deserved given the backwards, corrupt dinosaur she was running against, but it proves nothing in terms of her policies, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    "Ms Roem's supporters celebrated with her campaign, having raised nearly $500,000 in donations, much of it coming from LGBT advocates and supporters from across the US. That amounted to around three times what Mr Marshall raised."

Once again, we see that American politics is essentially decided by how much money gets spent. :sigh: Ms Roem's victory was certainly well-deserved given the backwards, corrupt dinosaur she was running against, but it proves nothing in terms of her policies, really.
    Doesnt it prove people care more about trans values than backward values? If Virginia had wanted to stay backward, surely the incumbent couldn't have raised more money.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Doesnt it prove people care more about trans values than backward values? If Virginia had wanted to stay backward, surely the incumbent couldn't have raised more money.
    True I suppose, though the article doesn't mention the exact sources of funding. I expect if the two candidates had been forced to spend the same amount on campaigning the result would've been different, though whether Roem would've won or lost in that scenario I've no idea.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Positive news, in my view!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Dez)
    True I suppose, though the article doesn't mention the exact sources of funding. I expect if the two candidates had been forced to spend the same amount on campaigning the result would've been different, though whether Roem would've won or lost in that scenario I've no idea.
    Seems unlikely to me - putting her up against that dinosaur was a masterstroke, highlighted all his flaws and turned his campaign into just trying to attack her, so she wiped the floor with him on policy.

ReputationRep:
    let politicians win based on merit, not what they identify as, i respect the American town's decision here

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2017
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.