Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am 16, and currently study a college course which I absolutely cannot bare.
    The course has been on for over 2 months and now I just resort to calling in sick to avoid going. My parents know I hate it, and are forcing me to stay there until I find a job. They are only forcing me to go so they can get council tax credit and child benefits, what should I do?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by SamScott)
    I am 16, and currently study a college course which I absolutely cannot bare.
    The course has been on for over 2 months and now I just resort to calling in sick to avoid going. My parents know I hate it, and are forcing me to stay there until I find a job. They are only forcing me to go so they can get council tax credit and child benefits, what should I do?
    Why not talk talk to the college to see if theres another course you can do? You dont really seem that interested in an education.

What is it you want? To be allowed to stay away from college?

You are still classed as a child.

England

You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:
    • stay in full-time education, for example at a college
    • start an apprenticeship or traineeship
    • spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

ReputationRep:
    You can't leave school at 16 and just get a job unfortunately, as the previous poster has said.

The law changed in 2007. If you choose not to pursue further/higher education, you must be enrolled on an apprenticeship or training scheme.

Perhaps one of those would be a good idea if you really dislike college. Or switching to a subject/subjects you find more interesting?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.