The Student Room Group

Cambridge Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

It shouldn't make any difference at all, I mean I go to Clare and do German but we don't have a fellow for German here, so I just go to Selwyn for supervisions. And for my interview I was interviewed by a fellow from St Johns (at Clare though with another fellow from Clare, I didn't know that he wasn't a Clare fellow to be honest!) A lot of colleges probably do have fellows in German and Spanish, but that most definitely shouldn't affect you whether or not they do :smile:
To answer the gap year question: I think all colleges are happy to take gap year students, and especially for languages, as long as you've spent your gap year usefully (in this case, practicing Spanish/German!) :smile:

Thank you for the luck! I need it... And I'm travelling this summer as well (Amsterdam - Berlin - Munich - Genova - Barcelona - Benicassim - Madrid - Pyrenees - Paris are the main stops).
Reply 182
I'm going to be applying for French and Russian (ab initio) and I was wondering about workloads. I've met a couple of Fellows through contacts and they both said that the work was much more for an ab initio language, and also that Russian was very difficult as well. I believe I am up to it, and wanted to know how much work I was going to be doing.
Thanks in advance.
can anyone tell me what happens for fluent/native speakers in the first year- if the use of language lessons are too easy?
Hi, does anyone know anything about doing Dutch at Cambridge? I'm thinking about it to go with Spanish for potential entry in 2009...
Dutch is good! Anyone is allowed to study Dutch in year 2 onwards (instead of taking a third scheduled paper), and of course it can be studied in its own right together with another language right from the word go in year 1. This year, I believe there is ONE first year student of Dutch! Good for him, all that attention! I was tempted to do Dutch next year (the main dutch lady person is REALLY nice), but decided against learning another language from scratch. So yeah. I relaise this has made no sense...but oh well!

Butterfly girl - in my friend's Italian language class, half of them are natives or half-Italian and speak Italian fluently, but they are just like any other student. At the end of the day, there is much more to the "Use of" exam than just being able to speak French/German etc.
Duck and Cover

Butterfly girl - in my friend's Italian language class, half of them are natives or half-Italian and speak Italian fluently, but they are just like any other student. At the end of the day, there is much more to the "Use of" exam than just being able to speak French/German etc.

ah ok- so you learn the why & wherefore of language in an academic/intellectual way rather than just the mundane explanatory lessons you get at school?

if you yourself are a language student- are a large proportion of language students fluent speakers? are the use of language lessons the type of lesson which are hard for students of all levels (like literature lessons often are) rather than the type of lessons aimed at bringing people up to the necessary level where those already at that level feel they are reiterating & not progressing?
Yeah, for a lot of it it's expanding on what you already know, just basically becoming more proficient, learning more intricacies for example. In my classes personally, no one is a fluent speaker, but everyone's at a similar level (we get setted at the beginning of the year after doing a little test). And because they're always 100% in the foreigh language, speaking it just becomes so much more natural.

The Use of classes differ STRONGLY between 1) different classes for the same language and 2) different languages. Use of German this year has been amazing, whereas use of French as left much to be desired...:p:...but that's my personal opinion! (I haven't exactly been the most diligent student for French this year so that probably explains it!!)
Duck and Cover
Yeah, for a lot of it it's expanding on what you already know, just basically becoming more proficient, learning more intricacies for example. In my classes personally, no one is a fluent speaker, but everyone's at a similar level (we get setted at the beginning of the year after doing a little test). And because they're always 100% in the foreigh language, speaking it just becomes so much more natural.

The Use of classes differ STRONGLY between 1) different classes for the same language and 2) different languages. Use of German this year has been amazing, whereas use of French as left much to be desired...:p:...but that's my personal opinion! (I haven't exactly been the most diligent student for French this year so that probably explains it!!)

so fluent/proficient/native speakers will likely be in one class while those less so will probably be in another?

and its all taught in the language??? how do they do that- is there a rule you cant speak english in the class? that would be so great- i think its the only way to go as far as language learning & I know how good it is from going to a language school where thats the case
For post a level languages you have to do a diagnostic test at the start of the year. They do that to put people of roughly the same level in language classes together. So, potentially you could be in a class with a fluent/native speaker if you are also of a good level.

As for ab initio, clearly nobody is a native but again you're put into groups according to ability so groups can advance at the right pace. What you'll find is that it levels out by about christmas so there's not really any difference.

Most of the language classes themselves are indeed in the target language. There's not exactly a rule that you can't speak English in class, but most teachers conduct the lesson in x language, so it would be rude not to respond and contribute to discussions in the same language. Of course, if you're stuck you can say what you want to say in English and get it translated or try to find a way around it.

As for Use Of classes, they do vary between language to language, and even within one language between teacher to teacher. Some teachers set more work than others or have higher standards. For example, a friend of mine has had loads of grammar learning work for use of classes (e.g. learning verbs + preposition), where as I have had a lot of textual analysis and things like that.
Yeah, when I said 100% in the target language, I meant like..95 or something! In both French and German, for me, very little English is spoken, and even if someone doesn't know something, most people try and get round it by still talking in the foreign language (or if you're like me, just waiting until the teacher guesses..:p:)
To be honest fluent speakers who study their own language irritate me a little. I'm sure you could come up with some valid reasons for it but at the end of the day the point of MML (or MFL as it would be called most places) is to study a foreign language...

I have use of French at 9am on a Thursday morning, to be honest at that hour I never feel like volunteering many contributions in French so stay pretty quiet until something is required of me. Waiting until the teacher guesses what it is you want to say is also a good strategy though...
Woo, 9am Thursday...top of the lecture block...all those stairs...not much enthusiasm tbh!!

Happiness
To be honest fluent speakers who study their own language irritate me a little. I'm sure you could come up with some valid reasons for it but at the end of the day the point of MML (or MFL as it would be called most places) is to study a foreign language...

i supposed, but I get the impression that studying a language doesnt stop when youre a native speaker- especially so if youre expected to read texts dating back to the C14th in french, german or even russian in your first year
From reading all these posts, it seems that the courses require a lot of essays on literature etc. and I was just wondering, do you think the fact that I don't intend to do AS/A Level English (instead I'll be doing History, French, Spanish and Maths) and will therefore not have had as much essay-writing practice as some students will hinder me in my quest to get to Cambridge?
marzipan_yum
From reading all these posts, it seems that the courses require a lot of essays on literature etc. and I was just wondering, do you think the fact that I don't intend to do AS/A Level English (instead I'll be doing History, French, Spanish and Maths) and will therefore not have had as much essay-writing practice as some students will hinder me in my quest to get to Cambridge?

The fact that you have two languages and History should be fine. And you'll get plenty of essay-writing practice in History: although it won't be related to literature it's all the same skills :smile:

I take nearly the same subjects as you (except I did English instead of French) and despite the fact that my English Lit grade was lower than the others, I still got an offer. And my offer only specifies an A in Spanish, so I don't think they really care about whether you have English Lit or not. The fact that you have two languages will be a far more positive thing.
Reply 196
marzipan_yum

I didn't take English at AS level. I also worried that it might be a problem, but it wasn't. Actually, on an open day it came up and it was suggested that there aren't necessarily any advantages in taking English AS/A when it comes to literature at Cambridge. It's still a highly respectable subject of course, so it's really up to you.

Have any (potential) Russian students been watching Jonathan Dimbleby's documentary on Russia?
NickEM
I didn't take English at AS level. I also worried that it might be a problem, but it wasn't. Actually, on an open day it came up and it was suggested that there aren't necessarily any advantages in taking English AS/A when it comes to literature at Cambridge. It's still a highly respectable subject of course, so it's really up to you.

Have any (potential) Russian students been watching Jonathan Dimbleby's documentary on Russia?

Yeah, to be honest I don't think that learning how to write essays that hit all the assessment objectives and writing rubbish about how the syllable count in Rime of the Ancient Mariner contributes to its overall meaning is really going to have any impact on your application. Then again, maybe I'm biased - I hate English Lit A level! Taking it certainly wouldn't do you any harm, but I really wouldn't bother unless you're actually interested in it. Considering you have to spend a quarter of your time over the next two years doing it, it really does help your motivation if it's something you enjoy :smile:

Nooo, what documentary?? This is where not watching TV very much is a disadvantage, you don't hear about these things!
Anyone know when they'll put the 2008/9 set texts for french on the University French Department website, or will they be the same as this year's? I'd like to buy them soon so I can read them slowly over the summer! Also,can anyone tell me what are the best dictionaries to buy for French and Italian?
Reply 199
ditto to Pantoufles question, I would like to read both the French and Spanish set texts over the summer as this may help me with my question - when will they be available?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending