The Student Room Group

Cambridge Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
to the Russian ab-initio person (soz i can't be bothered to go and find your name again)
Russian is hard.
its amazingly cool-ly fantastic, but its very hard.
but put it this way, by the time you get to second year you'll feel great because you will be waaay ahead of us poor PAL students :frown:
elin89
to the Russian ab-initio person (soz i can't be bothered to go and find your name again)
Russian is hard.
its amazingly cool-ly fantastic, but its very hard.
but put it this way, by the time you get to second year you'll feel great because you will be waaay ahead of us poor PAL students :frown:

That was me! Yeah, I worry about Russian being too hard for me... But I like challenges, so hopefully I'll do okay. Thanks for the heads up :biggrin:
Zoedotdot
That was me! Yeah, I worry about Russian being too hard for me... But I like challenges, so hopefully I'll do okay. Thanks for the heads up :biggrin:

I like challenges too but I prefer easy things... uh oh:eek:
:biggrin:
Reply 123
What are PAL students? :smile:
Post A-Level.
Reply 125
So ab-initio Russian students really get that good in just a year? That's so exciting!! :biggrin:
Yay for ab initio Russian!
Reply 127
yep, its hard but good :smile: Russian that is :smile:
Reply 128
hey,
just to clarify, french is not taught for beginners right?
im a prospective prospective applicant and it would be nice to know
As far as I'm aware it's post A level only.
Reply 130
anyone to second that?
(im not trying to be rude, i just want to know for sure)
/raises hand
Reply 132
yep, French is only taught Post A Level
Reply 133
Happiness
/raises hand

lol... thanks
Reply 134
i just have another quick question...

i have taken the Advanced Placement Spanish exam (assume its A-level) and received the highest obatinable grade. The year i might apply i will be taking Advanced Placement French and a second level Spanish course at a university

will taking the ap french class the year i apply put me at a disadvantage?

sorry for the long post, i just didnt want to clog up the cambridge forum with a question like this!:biggrin:
2009 *croisons les doigts* french, russian ab initio. :saffie:
Reply 136
Laurie501
i just have another quick question...

i have taken the Advanced Placement Spanish exam (assume its A-level) and received the highest obatinable grade. The year i might apply i will be taking Advanced Placement French and a second level Spanish course at a university

will taking the ap french class the year i apply put me at a disadvantage?

sorry for the long post, i just didnt want to clog up the cambridge forum with a question like this!:biggrin:

might be the lack of my knowledge of some strange Cambridge policies and/or US examinations but why on earth would that put you to a disadvantage?
The more languages= the better experience =the keenest linguist interest!Sorry if I misunderstood your question but if you're worrying that the knowledge of another Romance language will put you to a disadvantage then forget it + if you want to do French here as your second language (I assume Spanish would be the other one) then you need anyway a post-A level qualification for that as French isn't taught at ab initio.
If you're applying for any other arts subject you'll be fine assuming that you have other, essay-based and/or analytical subjects like History or Maths.
Hope this answered your question whatever it exactly was :smile:
Reply 137
Jucus
might be the lack of my knowledge of some strange Cambridge policies and/or US examinations but why on earth would that put you to a disadvantage?
The more languages= the better experience =the keenest linguist interest!Sorry if I misunderstood your question but if you're worrying that the knowledge of another Romance language will put you to a disadvantage then forget it + if you want to do French here as your second language (I assume Spanish would be the other one) then you need anyway a post-A level qualification for that as French isn't taught at ab initio.
If you're applying for any other arts subject you'll be fine assuming that you have other, essay-based and/or analytical subjects like History or Maths.
Hope this answered your question whatever it exactly was :smile:

Yeah, just looked at my question and it was rather vague!!!:smile:
What is was trying to ask is if taking AP French in my last year of school will put me at a disadvantage (i would just be starting the course when i would be interviewed, not the language though!)?
This would probably answer my question better...
Do you A-level students take A-Level French in Year 12 or Year 13 because I will be essentially taking it in Year 13?
Hope thats more clear!!!:smile: :smile:
Reply 138
Fillette™
2009 *croisons les doigts* french, russian ab initio. :saffie:

Удачи! :smile:
NickEM
Удачи! :smile:

Oooh, what does that mean? I'm proud that I knew what sounds all those letters make without having to look at the alphabet stuck to my wall!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending