Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply for medicine for 2019 entry and I'll be 24 when I start (if I get on!). I know you have to be 25 to be independent from parents- because I wouldn't be 25 at the beginning of the course does this mean I wouldn't be classed as independent from my parents throughout the degree or would this change in second year when I turn 25? I.e would I receive the parents income assessed maintenance loan in first year and then be an independent from 2nd year onwards? Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runnergirl1414)
    I'm hoping to apply for medicine for 2019 entry and I'll be 24 when I start (if I get on!). I know you have to be 25 to be independent from parents- because I wouldn't be 25 at the beginning of the course does this mean I wouldn't be classed as independent from my parents throughout the degree or would this change in second year when I turn 25? I.e would I receive the parents income assessed maintenance loan in first year and then be an independent from 2nd year onwards? Thanks.
    It would change to independent for second year if you turn 25 during your first year.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runnergirl1414)
    Hi Runnergirl1414,

Yes, in answer to your questions you would be classed as dependent student for the first year of your course and if you will be 25 or over prior to the start of the next academic year( 1st September) you would be assessed as an independent student from your 2nd year onwards.

Thanks
    Louise

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.