Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How is the faculty in universities in UK? I have heard that they are not very friendly and just give students raw points and go away. Is this true? Are the teachers helpful and willing to solve doubts and explain in depth during classes?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by mariamalik260801)
    How is the faculty in universities in UK? I have heard that they are not very friendly and just give students raw points and go away. Is this true? Are the teachers helpful and willing to solve doubts and explain in depth during classes?
    University is different from school. Lecturers are there to give an overview of the subject and to indicate where you need to study. As a university student you are old enough to be able to organise your own research/studies.

Tutors in tutorials will talk you through the subject, but again you are expected to have studied and prepared beforehand. It varies how helpful they are, but that is the same in any uni in any country.

If you have good grades when you apply, then you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    This is very difficult to answer without knowing the exact university and course as contact time and how that contact time is used can vary wildly, but I'll try to generalise.

In earlier years you will usually be spoon fed a bit more, with most classes having tutorials so you can happily ask questions and as the people doing tutorials/seminars are usually PhD students and Postdocs they have opted in to it (and been trained) so they're usually very helpful. In later years you will be expected to learn more independently as that skill is valued more than the knowledge you gain. So you might only have tutorials for one of your classes, and if you need something clarified you can ask them at the end of the lecture, in office hours, or via email, though you have to be somewhat careful with these options so as to avoid stopping other people from getting help. Generally you won't get to that stage though, things are usually very well explained and you will usually have your coursemates to help figure things out. Even in labs, if you're really struggling with a step then the administrators will help you with that step so you can continue the rest of the assessment, you'll just lose marks for not being able to do that one bit.

You should also get assigned a personal tutor who will be a professor in your department, they will/should help guide you through uni, signpost you to any resources in the uni which could help you, and talk with you and pass on any complaints you may have about the course, for example if a course is particularly bad.

I don't think many unis just give raw marks. At my uni you can only be awarded raw marks for non-final assessments, and as each module will generally consist of a final exam worth 80-100% of the entire module grade, this means that your marks are usually heavily filtered. In fact from what I've seen, the UK university assessment system is the most regulated in the world by a large margin as your final assessment is marked externally and the module syllabus must also be approved externally.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.