Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Liberals in bed with fascists?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why are the Lib-Dems steadfastly and uncompromisingly pro-EU when eastern European countries have become hotbeds of alt-right politics, nationalism, xenophobia, racism, fascism, and hostility towards Islam and Muslims? This style of politics is
    the opposite of liberalism and is now starting to spread to some western European countries.

If the Lib-Dem leadership of today was running the Liberal Party in the 1930s then they would almost certainly have got in bed with Germany under Hitler simply because it's in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    You mean like May hopping into bed with Northern Ireland extremists to stay in power?

How does being pro-EU (the concept, the idea, not some governments who happen to be in charge right now) equate to getting into bed with Fascists?

ReputationRep:
    Impeccable logic right there.

Pro-EU Lib Dems don't condone the anti-refugee, anti-Muslim, nationalist sentiment in the EU. It's the anti-EU Faragists and so-called Eurosceptics who almost without fail are pro all of those things you mentioned.

The rest is just petty-fogging the issue.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there is some inverted logic going on here. A similar situation applies to the pro-EU Greens and moderate wings of Labour and the Conservatives.

Somehow I'm beginning to think that such people are living in a different era before all the xenophobic and anti-Islamic sentiment started to take off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)
    Why are the Lib-Dems steadfastly and uncompromisingly pro-EU when eastern European countries have become hotbeds of alt-right politics, nationalism, xenophobia, racism, fascism, and hostility towards Islam and Muslims? This style of politics is
    the opposite of liberalism and is now starting to spread to some western European countries.

If the Lib-Dem leadership of today was running the Liberal Party in the 1930s then they would almost certainly have got in bed with Germany under Hitler simply because it's in Europe.
    How come you haven’t mentioned the new liberal tactics of trying to ban their opponents from speaking (no platforming), selective application of concepts (double standards) and arresting people for offensive Tweets?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Because the views of the alt-right politicians in Eastern Europe are a minority in the EU.

Plus, there are far more issues involved in EU membership than Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Because the views of the alt-right politicians in Eastern Europe are a minority in the EU.
    You have to know which way the wind is blowing. What was alt-right in eastern Europe is gradually becoming mainstream views amongst the average Joe in western Europe.

Plus, there are far more issues involved in EU membership than Islam.
    Islam was a complete non-issue back in the 1990s but it's a prominent issue today.

There are even Muslims who voted to leave the EU because of the hostility towards Islam that runs high in other EU countries.

ReputationRep:
    You have to know which way the wind is blowing. What was alt-right in eastern Europe is gradually becoming mainstream views amongst the average Joe in western Europe.

Islam was a complete non-issue back in the 1990s but it's a prominent issue today.

There are even Muslims who voted to leave the EU because of the hostility towards Islam that runs high in other EU countries.
    This really doesn't affect anything that I have said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    This really doesn't affect anything that I have said.
    If (social) liberalism declines in many EU countries and the popular opinion becomes dominated by nationalism, xenophobia, social conservative values, anti-immigration, and anti-Islam then these countries will become dissimilar bedfellows for the Lib-Dems. It has even been argued over the years that liberalism is a very British political ideology with patchy public support for it across continental Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GenialGermanGent)
    You mean like May hopping into bed with Northern Ireland extremists to stay in power?

How does being pro-EU (the concept, the idea, not some governments who happen to be in charge right now) equate to getting into bed with Fascists?
    What's extreme about the DUP?- just because they are anti immigration, abortion and Europe social justice warriors hate them. Rather them then a IRA (Sinn Fein) + Labour coalition if that's the choice, however even Sinn Fein + Labour + SNP, the tories would of still won

The Liberal Democrats and Green Party would bend over backwards for the EU, one thing is for sure if you are pro-EU you are anti democracy, nation state and national security .

The one thing i would say is the Liberals/ Lib Dems struggled in elections even when it was Tories vs Liberals- the liberals struggled to win elections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Findacure)
    What's extreme about the DUP?- just because they are anti immigration, abortion and Europe social justice warriors hate them. Rather them then a IRA (Sinn Fein) + Labour coalition if that's the choice, however even Sinn Fein + Labour + SNP, the tories would of still won

The Liberal Democrats and Green Party would bend over backwards for the EU, one thing is for sure if you are pro-EU you are anti democracy, nation state and national security .

The one thing i would say is the Liberals/ Lib Dems struggled in elections even when it was Tories vs Liberals- the liberals struggled to win elections
    This hoary old chesnut again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    This hoary old chesnut again?
    It's right though no matter what you think I would rather have DUP plus tories , rather than a terrorist lover with a bunch of terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    It's right though no matter what you think I would rather have DUP plus tories , rather than a terrorist lover with a bunch of terrorists.
    Oh that is rather droll.
    Shall we start with the main problems in that assessment shall we?
    Largely and most glaringly what proof do you have that Mr Corbyn is, as you so eloquently put it, a 'terrorist lover'? But to lead on from that i think i'll list a few of the terrorists the Tories are at present in bed with; The house of Saud, The Israelis, an assortment of terror groups across the middle east in particular in Iraq and Syria and not to mention London has been the traditional home of Islamic extremists who have organised and conducted numerous attacks around the world. Your loving government has also historically been linked to aiding and abetting genocide in Indonesia, Apartheid in SA, every dictatorship in Africa and South America i can think of and so on. Not to mention the DUP is backed by the UDA - a terrorist group.

It seems to me you epitomise the old adage - pot calling the kettle black. Or you're just being willfully ignorant, pray tell which?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Oh that is rather droll.
    Shall we start with the main problems in that assessment shall we?
    Largely and most glaringly what proof do you have that Mr Corbyn is, as you so eloquently put it, a 'terrorist lover'? But to lead on from that i think i'll list a few of the terrorists the Tories are at present in bed with; The house of Saud, The Israelis, an assortment of terror groups across the middle east in particular in Iraq and Syria and not to mention London has been the traditional home of Islamic extremists who have organised and conducted numerous attacks around the world. Your loving government has also historically been linked to aiding and abetting genocide in Indonesia, Apartheid in SA, every dictatorship in Africa and South America i can think of and so on. Not to mention the DUP is backed by the UDA - a terrorist group.

It seems to me you epitomise the old adage - pot calling the kettle black. Or you're just being willfully ignorant, pray tell which?
    Firstly he's in favour of allowing ISIS fighters back into the country as they are displaying a "political opinion"
    I back the UDA over the IRA, they bombed my city- I'm no Ireland expert
    The government back terrorists I know, but Corbyns unlimited immigration policy would bring ISIS fighters galore.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly he's in favour of allowing ISIS fighters back into the country as they are displaying a "political opinion"
    I back the UDA over the IRA, they bombed my city- I'm no Ireland expert
    The government back terrorists I know, but Corbyns unlimited immigration policy would bring ISIS fighters galore.
    Which quote are you referring to specifically?
    I noticed.
    Now that's an out right lie. Show me actual proof that he wants unlimited immigration... I also feel somewhat obliged to point out that the majority of terrorists are home grown not the imported variety. Although i am curious to your opinion on one thing related to that, are you more concerned with just keeping people who might potentially be terrorists out or are you at all concerned with squashing the causes of people having a desire to bomb this country, like bombing theirs first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Which quote are you referring to specifically?
    I noticed.
    Now that's an out right lie. Show me actual proof that he wants unlimited immigration... I also feel somewhat obliged to point out that the majority of terrorists are home grown not the imported variety. Although i am curious to your opinion on one thing related to that, are you more concerned with just keeping people who might potentially be terrorists out or are you at all concerned with squashing the causes of people having a desire to bomb this country, like bombing theirs first?

EU immigration is not too high which is about 150,000 people a year - when do we draw the line?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38561501

In reference to home grown terrorists- yes thats the whole point Corbyn wants to allow Muslims who have been to Syria to fight for ISIS to return due to a political "choice"

Home grown terrorism, I think not terrorism generally speaking isn't a white christian way of life, tight borders back in the day would equal zero terrorists today

ReputationRep:
    EU immigration is not too high which is about 150,000 people a year - when do we draw the line?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38561501
    Let me ask you, whats wrong with immigration from Europe exactly?

ReputationRep:

Sinn Fein don't take up their seats in Westminster.

The second paragraph is just drivel.

Tories vs Liberals was a century ago and hardly relevant today.

ReputationRep:
    What's extreme about the DUP?- just because they are anti immigration, abortion and Europe social justice warriors hate them. Rather them then a IRA (Sinn Fein) Labour coalition if that's the choice, however even Sinn Fein Labour SNP, the tories would of still won

Sinn Fein doesn’t take its seats in Parliament, you absolute ****ing moron.

Also, I’m bemused about how you have totally different goalposts for extremism on the right and left. Merely supporting remaining in the EU qualifies me as a fascist apparently.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Let me ask you, whats wrong with immigration from Europe exactly?
    Lets break it down for you

1. Syrians are flooding Europe as soon as a country grants them asylum they can apply for a passport- then we can not stop them from coming to the UK until article 50 expires.
    2. ISIS threatened to flood Europe with some 500,000 activists
    3. All the refugees in Europe are mainly millitary aged men- lack of women and children- some of the child refugees we have let in are double my age ( Thats a different story)
    4. North African nations such as Libya and Morroco are getting into boats travelling 2-3 miles out of the coast making a may day call and getting a taxi service to Palermo in Italy from charity aid workers NGO and EU vessells (https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/04/...ple-smugglers/) They need to be taken to the nearest port in Tunisia not Palermo
    5.They get into Europe and this is when the terror begins, it is not public knowledge but Sweden have had 15+ bomb attacks within the last month non of them publicised by the mainstream media.

Hope that helps you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.