Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know there have been similar Ask Me Anything threads before, but I posted a regular AMA a few weeks back when I was bored and well...it had a reply from one user. So I'm hoping this one will get more questions.

So yeah, I'm an autist. Ask me anything you want related to that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Hey_Its_Cerian)
    I know there have been similar Ask Me Anything threads before, but I posted a regular AMA a few weeks back when I was bored and well...it had a reply from one user. So I'm hoping this one will get more questions.

So yeah, I'm an autist. Ask me anything you want related to that.
    How clever are you? I heard that autists are really gifted and highly intelligent.

What are your hobbies or what makes you happy or sad?

What part of the spectrum do you lie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    How clever are you? I heard that autists are really gifted and highly intelligent.

What are your hobbies or what makes you happy or sad?

What part of the spectrum do you lie?
    1) I'd consider myself to have an average intelligence. I had an A*, A, 5 B's, 3 C's and 2 D's at GCSE, for example, which isn't really the best but not exactly the worst either. However, I didn't revise, admittedly, so these grades aren't actually an indicator of my true ability. I reckon I am capable if I actually put the work ethic in. At the moment, I'm just average. It's important to keep in mind that autism is a very complex spectrum and that the "all autists are gifted" is simply not true. We're not all like Rainman. Everyone on the spectrum is different.

2) My hobbies include procrastinating (well, not really but it is something I'm good at), reading (not so often anymore but sometimes), writing (not really often but occasionally), horse-riding, listening to music and hanging out with friends.

3) I was actually diagnosed with severe autism in January 2004, age 3. But with intervention, I outgrew many of my severe traits and I now function at the sane level as an Aspie, so I identify as high-functioning.

ReputationRep:
    What does the future hold for you?

What are your career aspirations?

What do you think of functioning labels?

What do you think of the prevalence of ASD in females and why do you believe this is the case?

Do you like theme parks?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    1) I'd consider myself to have an average intelligence. I had an A*, A, 5 B's, 3 C's and 2 D's at GCSE, for example, which isn't really the best but not exactly the worst either. However, I didn't revise, admittedly, so these grades aren't actually an indicator of my true ability. I reckon I am capable if I actually put the work ethic in. At the moment, I'm just average. It's important to keep in mind that autism is a very complex spectrum and that the "all autists are gifted" is simply not true. We're not all like Rainman. Everyone on the spectrum is different.

2) My hobbies include procrastinating (well, not really but it is something I'm good at), reading (not so often anymore but sometimes), writing (not really often but occasionally), horse-riding, listening to music and hanging out with friends.

3) I was actually diagnosed with severe autism in January 2004, age 3. But with intervention, I outgrew many of my severe traits and I now function at the sane level as an Aspie, so I identify as high-functioning.
    Ok. Interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nipnopandasweena)
    what kind of wheelchair do u use?
    And you thought this would be a funny question to ask because...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EveeyBean)
    What does the future hold for you?

What are your career aspirations?

What do you think of functioning labels?

What do you think of the prevalence of ASD in females and why do you believe this is the case?

Do you like theme parks?
    1) I don't know what the future holds, and neither does anybody else. I just hope the future is full of brilliant things. I don't really think about the future that much because I believe it's much more important to enjoy the present and make the most of the life you have. After all, the future isn't guaranteed. I've thought of like, university which is a portion of the future but nothing after that.

2) I aspire to study Criminology or Forensic Science at a university somewhere. I haven't really thought beyond that because I'm still in the first term of Year 12. I haven't thought of anything career-wise.

3) Some people on the spectrum think functioning labels are problematic but I have no problem with them, personally. I identify as high-functioning. I think opinion just differs within autistics, because we're still different like everyone else. Those who are anti-label state that we shouldn't have them because we don't label the general public as high/low-functioning, which is a good point actually. But like I said, I've no problem with them.

4) They say that the ratio of boys:girls with autism is about 3:4, therefore boys are more likely to be born autistic. This is a fair conclusion considering the ratio of those diagnosed, but I don't believe that boys are more likely to be autists. I used to, but not anymore. Now I know that girls are just as likely to be autistic as boys (if not, more so). The reason more boys are diagnosed than girls is because autism is more difficult to pick up in females as it presents itself differently. This therefore results in misdiagnosis/late diagnosis.

5) I love theme parks! I've never liked crowded places but obviously theme parks are tolerable because they're fun!

ReputationRep:
    4) They say that the ratio of boys:girls with autism is about 3:4, therefore boys are more likely to be born autistic. This is a fair conclusion considering the ratio of those diagnosed, but I don't believe that boys are more likely to be autists. I used to, but not anymore. Now I know that girls are just as likely to be autistic as boys (if not, more so). The reason more boys are diagnosed than girls is because autism is more difficult to pick up in females as it presents itself differently. This therefore results in misdiagnosis/late diagnosis.
    I came across a theory saying that because fewer males than females are needed to sustain a population, males are a kind of "genetic testing ground". It suggests that there are disproportionately more male geniuses (although society may have influenced that as well) but also disproportionately more males with disabilities. What do you think of this?

ReputationRep:
    have you ever caught a delicious trout ?

:holmes:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Do you have a calendar on your desk! ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.