The Student Room Group

dropping out of uni and finances

So I've decided I want to drop out of uni because I'm not enjoying my course and I don't like living in the accommodation, mainly because I miss home and I don't get along with anyone in my flat. My mental health is getting bad again and my anxiety and depression are coming back and getting worse from being here.

Ive found another course at a uni closer to home which I'm considering doing but I don't know how to tell my parents I want to leave and also my accommodation contract for this year says I can't cancel it unless I find someone else to take my room which I can't do now this far into the year which means if I dropped out I wouldn't get any more student loan and my parents would have to continue to pay the rent even though I wouldn't be using the room. I feel like I can't continue staying here but I don't want to have to expect my mum and dad to pay the £4500 left on the rent and I know that they can't afford to so I really don't know what to do.
Original post by molz1234
So I've decided I want to drop out of uni because I'm not enjoying my course and I don't like living in the accommodation, mainly because I miss home and I don't get along with anyone in my flat. My mental health is getting bad again and my anxiety and depression are coming back and getting worse from being here.

Ive found another course at a uni closer to home which I'm considering doing but I don't know how to tell my parents I want to leave and also my accommodation contract for this year says I can't cancel it unless I find someone else to take my room which I can't do now this far into the year which means if I dropped out I wouldn't get any more student loan and my parents would have to continue to pay the rent even though I wouldn't be using the room. I feel like I can't continue staying here but I don't want to have to expect my mum and dad to pay the £4500 left on the rent and I know that they can't afford to so I really don't know what to do.

You need to speak to your university's student support/services/advice team - they should be able to help you to look at your contract to see if there's any options for getting released from your contract early or whether there's anyone who has requested a room in your halls who can take over your contract (some universities have a january intake or visiting students who arrive in jan who would be keen on a room).

They'll also be able to explain how to go about switching your university and help you understand the student loan implications of leaving early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending