Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I go on holiday with my online "boyfriend" who i've never met ? Watch

Ok so i asked this on reddit last night and it didn't go well 🙄 I think i just shouldve explained it a bit better.

He dm'd me on twitter 3/4 weeks ago, since then, we have spoken to each other via text or whatever for many hours (sometimes a whole day), every day! We know a lot about each other we just haven't met. We've wanted to but i'm at university (bristol) and he lives up north. For the time being, it's long distance but i'm on a foundation year and always planned to study at nottingham after this year (so me transferring unis was originally nothing to do with him but now it's obviously a benefit).

Anyways, he asked me to go on holiday with him next week, for a few days. I'm ok with missing a few days off uni, we don't have many contact hours anyways so i wouldn't be missing out on a lot, plus i'd catch up anyways. It was originally to Spain but my passport expired last month so we'd just stay in the UK.

What do you think ? bc i don't see much wrong but i just want to know your opinions bc i don't often have the greatest ideas. if youre gonna say no pls give an explanation any questions just ask aaaand thanks also he's 23 and paying for everything

ReputationRep:
    Is there anywhere you could meet prior to that to make sure he's who he says he is and everything's good between you?

Preferably in a public place... coffee/meal/etc?

ReputationRep:
    I think a holiday with someone you have met online and not in person is a very stupid idea.. But its your life if you want to risk it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'd say no. It's better imo to meet up with him in a neutral place first and see how that goes.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Going on holiday with anyone before you've even met is very foolish, I'm not surprised Reddit shot you down. You'll get similar responses on here.

How do you know this guy isn't going to murder or rape you? How can you trust a stranger like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok so i asked this on reddit last night and it didn't go well 🙄 I think i just shouldve explained it a bit better.

He dm'd me on twitter 3/4 weeks ago, since then, we have spoken to each other via text or whatever for many hours (sometimes a whole day), every day! We know a lot about each other we just haven't met. We've wanted to but i'm at university (bristol) and he lives up north. For the time being, it's long distance but i'm on a foundation year and always planned to study at nottingham after this year (so me transferring unis was originally nothing to do with him but now it's obviously a benefit).

Anyways, he asked me to go on holiday with him next week, for a few days. I'm ok with missing a few days off uni, we don't have many contact hours anyways so i wouldn't be missing out on a lot, plus i'd catch up anyways. It was originally to Spain but my passport expired last month so we'd just stay in the UK.

What do you think ? bc i don't see much wrong but i just want to know your opinions bc i don't often have the greatest ideas. if youre gonna say no pls give an explanation any questions just ask aaaand thanks also he's 23 and paying for everything
    I'd say not for the first meeting. When you're meeting someone on the internet for the first time you should def do it in a public place and I wouldn't go on a holiday personally until after several meetings so you know you're comfortable in person. Have you skyped/facetimed or anything like that?

ReputationRep:

Do you WANT to get kidnapped ?
    Jokes aside. It does seem slightly strange that he is paying for everything. You don't really do that for people you haven't met. Also would that mean he is planning all of it? Do you know where you'll be staying ect?

So have you called each other/video called because if it's just text it would be more suspicious.

So he contacted you first, is that through mutal friends? How did he find you?

Also since its for a few days, do you have a backup plan if you dont get on? Wouldn't it be better to meet for a day and not book a holiday without knowing the person well enough?

ReputationRep:
    No. If you can't see why it's a very bad idea then I'm genuinely worried about your thought-processes.

(Original post by RiahDawson)
    Do you WANT to get kidnapped ?
    Jokes aside. It does seem slightly strange that he is paying for everything. You don't really do that for people you haven't met. Also would that mean he is planning all of it? Do you know where you'll be staying ect?

So have you called each other/video called because if it's just text it would be more suspicious.

So he contacted you first, is that through mutal friends? How did he find you?

Also since its for a few days, do you have a backup plan if you dont get on? Wouldn't it be better to meet for a day and not book a holiday without knowing the person well enough?
    😬😓he's not sinister i don't think. be stalked his twitter and facebook, he has a job, a house he's a credible person i mean ... Surely it'll be okay if i tell my friends where i am or set up a location service so they know where i am

I followed him on twitter and like 2 weeks later he followed me back then send me a message. He has a big followers count as he sings so yeah. No we haven't skyped or anything only bc i don't like video calling 🙄but we've exchanged voice notes

ReputationRep:

If your like 110% that you'll be safe with him then sure go (but still be cautious obvs) but if you feel even the slightest doubt, I'm not saying don't go but maybe go with someone like a close friend just in case because you never know what could happen and it's good to stay on the safe side but don't let that stop you from having fun in life! (as cringy as that sounds)
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    😬😓he's not sinister i don't think. be stalked his twitter and facebook, he has a job, a house he's a credible person i mean ... Surely it'll be okay if i tell my friends where i am or set up a location service so they know where i am

I followed him on twitter and like 2 weeks later he followed me back then send me a message. He has a big followers count as he sings so yeah. No we haven't skyped or anything only bc i don't like video calling 🙄but we've exchanged voice notes
    You cannot have any doubt at all for these things.

Having a job and a house doesn't make him credible either.

It still sounds very shady that he's offering to take you on holiday when he's never met you. I am dumbfounded as to how you haven't even raised an eyebrow over something like that. You're way too naive.

ReputationRep:
    Meet beforehand, because the worst thing is going to meet someone you've had lots of contact with online, and finding out in person, they are totally different,
    People have different lives online. Just be careful.

Say you'll go on the holiday, on 3 conditions:

1) meet beforehand at a coffee shop or something.
    2) chat to the parents / family friends about the situation. get their thoughts.
    3) if all is well & you're def sure you want to do this, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say even if you're very carefree the minimum would be to meet once first in a public place first for safety purposes and to see how it goes in person.

And video call him a couple of times, its totally different to text and gives you a much better idea of what it'll be like face to face.

If you still feel safe after all that, then why not? Is the all situation a bit odd and potentially suspicious? Yeah. But that doesn't mean that it definitely is going to be. Life's a risk and its your call really.
    • Very Important Poster

Presumably you are an adult, so its your choice.

No would be my answer. You dont know him and you could be out of your depth. Too much of a risk. Why doesnt he go to Bristol and you cna go on a few dates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovaticfordemi)
    I know this will sound so naive of me but i don't believe he's anything sinister tho 😔
    Duh if you want to kidnap and murder someone you have to make yourself come across as nice and normal not sinister!

Josef Fritzl had a house and a job too... you can't be too careful, but if you aren't careful enough it could end really badly :/

Is he taking you to Syria?

ReputationRep:
      😬😓he's not sinister i don't think. be stalked his twitter and facebook, he has a job, a house he's a credible person i mean
      i don't want to sound facetious, but Fred West had a job & a house ( and a charming wife :rolleyes: ).

it is probably 90% sure this guy is OK.... it's the 10% that can hurt you.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      I'm going with a strong no, and that's even aside from the fact you haven't met in person. 3 or 4 weeks is not much time at all to get to know someone, and I don't think it's sensible to go away with someone unless you're sure you can trust them, particularly if you'll be sharing a room.

Taking into account the fact you've never met in person before, and that just compounds the risk of doing this - you don't know if he's who he claims to be, it would be considerably more sensible to meet somewhere public first and build from there, or even to Skype a few times, if you haven't already.

No you shouldnt you cant trust anyone these days

ReputationRep:
      You must know that this is a very unsafe and frankly foolish idea.

As money isn't a problem for him why don't you suggest he spends a weekend at a hotel in Bristol so that you can meet in a safe environment (not the hotel) and get to know each other in person? If he's genuine he would surely see the sense in this.

Regardless of the safety aspect, going away with someone you don't know especially if he is paying is a bad idea and risks leaving you in difficulty if you don't get along.

Please make sure you don't put yourself at risk

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.