Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I go on holiday with my online "boyfriend" who i've never met ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    OP's going to go and end up in a suitcase with her throat slit..

ReputationRep:
    The fact you're asking on here must mean you're at least partly aware of how dangerous this could be...

I'm not really in a position to talk, I've travelled to a different country to meet someone before. Just stay safe, stay in public, and be assertive if he tries to get you to go back to his or something - at least for the first meeting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    x
    (Original post by marple)
    As money isn't a problem for him why don't you suggest he spends a weekend at a hotel in Bristol so that you can meet in a safe environment (not the hotel) and get to know each other in person? If he's genuine he would surely see the sense in this.
    This is a really good suggestion! That way you could show him around Bristol as well so you'd have stuff to do but be in a place you know.
    Tbh I don't think I'd go on holiday with someone I'd known in person for only a couple of weeks just in case you ended up not getting on as well as you'd thought. This way you can easily go back to your own place without him.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advise going abroad as your first meeting. Like others have suggested, meet up with him first in the UK - you could ask him to visit you or you visit him. Talking online doesn't necessarily mean that he is the one for you (a lot of people can fake things or write anything they want), you would only get to know what he is really like when you spend time with him in real life.

Take things slow, there is no need to rush into a holiday.

ReputationRep:
    no, thats really suspicious and potentially dangerous

ReputationRep:
    It really does look absurd that your planning on going holiday with him and you haven't been on the phone to him or facetimed him before (you only mentioned text so correct me if i'm wrong).
    Texting and physical communication is 2 completely different things so it's better if you meet him first for a date to see if the chemistry and attraction is real than to go on holiday and realise he's nothing you expected.

ReputationRep:
    If he's the one paying for you, then he's probably expecting something from you in return which will most likely be sex. Nobody would do this for a stranger without getting something out of it. If that's cool with you then do it, but just be aware of what he's expecting from you beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i asked this on reddit last night and it didn't go well 🙄 I think i just shouldve explained it a bit better.

He dm'd me on twitter 3/4 weeks ago, since then, we have spoken to each other via text or whatever for many hours (sometimes a whole day), every day! We know a lot about each other we just haven't met. We've wanted to but i'm at university (bristol) and he lives up north. For the time being, it's long distance but i'm on a foundation year and always planned to study at nottingham after this year (so me transferring unis was originally nothing to do with him but now it's obviously a benefit).

Anyways, he asked me to go on holiday with him next week, for a few days. I'm ok with missing a few days off uni, we don't have many contact hours anyways so i wouldn't be missing out on a lot, plus i'd catch up anyways. It was originally to Spain but my passport expired last month so we'd just stay in the UK.

What do you think ? bc i don't see much wrong but i just want to know your opinions bc i don't often have the greatest ideas. if youre gonna say no pls give an explanation any questions just ask aaaand thanks also he's 23 and paying for everything

Ok...

I have a few questions..

1) How old are you

2) Will you be taking anybody with you on this holiday?

3) Why does the first time you two meet have to be on holiday?

It's really not safe to meet people online. Even if you have been speaking for weeks/months/years. This is because people can often pretend online, they can create a 'character' and be nothing like their real selves. It has happened to me a few times. With one guy having a secret life that I knew nothing about. He told me he was single but actually had a girlfriend and a baby on the way.

How do you know what this boy is telling you about himself is the truth? How do you know you will be safe around him? How do you know if he's a decent person and not some random horny guy who could rape you? Don't be fooled by a cute face and sweet talk... you need to look at this rationally and not with rose tinted glasses on. Sorry, if that's blunt. But these are the dangers you need to think about. You need to put your safety first.

I think you would be better off meeting this guy say in your home town and taking a friend or family member along with you for support and in case something happens. Also, tell your parents were you are going so that they can come and collect you if you need them too.

Get to know this boy better in a setting you are comfortable with. See if he is a decent person or not. Meet with him many times before you go on holiday together. Once you've done this then maybe further along down the line, after numerous meetings you will know what kind of person he is.

Don't get me wrong, he may be the nicest boy in the world. But at this point all you have about his character is words on a screen.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i asked this on reddit last night and it didn't go well 🙄 I think i just shouldve explained it a bit better.

He dm'd me on twitter 3/4 weeks ago, since then, we have spoken to each other via text or whatever for many hours (sometimes a whole day), every day! We know a lot about each other we just haven't met. We've wanted to but i'm at university (bristol) and he lives up north. For the time being, it's long distance but i'm on a foundation year and always planned to study at nottingham after this year (so me transferring unis was originally nothing to do with him but now it's obviously a benefit).

Anyways, he asked me to go on holiday with him next week, for a few days. I'm ok with missing a few days off uni, we don't have many contact hours anyways so i wouldn't be missing out on a lot, plus i'd catch up anyways. It was originally to Spain but my passport expired last month so we'd just stay in the UK.

What do you think ? bc i don't see much wrong but i just want to know your opinions bc i don't often have the greatest ideas. if youre gonna say no pls give an explanation any questions just ask aaaand thanks also he's 23 and paying for everything

at least video chat him first to firstly verify he is 100% the guy you've been talking to ..and secondly to check that the convo isn't all awkward face to face

I suspect the lure of a "free" holiday is making you neglect the fact that there is still a chance this could be a guy who looks nothing like he's depicting himself to be, ..looking for a girl to fill his newly built soundproof basement in the middle of the woods..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Going on holiday with anyone before you've even met is very foolish, I'm not surprised Reddit shot you down. You'll get similar responses on here.

How do you know this guy isn't going to murder or rape you? How can you trust a stranger like that?
    How do you even know he is the age he claims, never mind other traits.

If you're going to go regardless, make sure to tell people exactly who you're going with.

ReputationRep:
    The bottom line is that you don't know that the person speaking to you via text or twitter or facebook is the person that you think they are. The accounts could have been hacked. This happens on a regular basis. Sounds suss to me. Meet up first, somewhere public. Don't be naive.

ReputationRep:
    You can't go on holiday with anyone after knowing them for 4 weeks. If you do meet them just make sure it's somewhere public, as someone asking you to go on holiday with them that quick is either a bit too extra or dodge.

ReputationRep:
    video call the gentleman

ReputationRep:
    going on holiday with an online 'boyfriend' you've never met in real life is a spectacularly dumb idea

hth

ReputationRep:
    NO,do not go you cant trust these people especially if his paying for everything ITS A SCAM but its you're life at the end of the day but dont risk it.

ReputationRep:
    i dont even go on holiday with my closet friends and ive known them for 5 years stupid idea DONT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    heck no. also 3/4 weeks??? double no. stupidest idea i ever heard
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    LOL, no stupid

(Original post by UWS)
    Going on holiday with anyone before you've even met is very foolish, I'm not surprised Reddit shot you down. You'll get similar responses on here.

How do you know this guy isn't going to murder or rape you? How can you trust a stranger like that?
    But how would I know he isn't going to murder or rape me ? I trust him cause i've been speaking with him for a long time now. Don't me wrong I once read the autobiography of Michelle Knight who was held captive for 9 years so i am aware of the danger of being kidnapped but i feel like i can trust this guy
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.