Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I go on holiday with my online "boyfriend" who i've never met ? Watch

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Just the fact that you're so set up on defending yourself clearly shows that you have no intention of taking on board our advice. Go on holiday with him if that's what you really want.
    I'm only being like that because i'm asking a genuine question bc i know it could be dangerous but i just wanted opinions backed up with reason and i'm getting called stupid ? If i was stupid I would've just gone off with him, I'm not trolling or anything i'm dead serious about all this 😔
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm only being like that because i'm asking a genuine question bc i know it could be dangerous but i just wanted opinions backed up with reason and i'm getting called stupid ? If i was stupid I would've just gone off with him, I'm not trolling or anything i'm dead serious about all this 😔
    So many people have given you genuine logical advice and yet you choose to point out those who have called you stupid.

You are being naive and your vision is tinted because you have created this ideal person online when in reality their personality is likely to be different. You cannot tell me that the way you act online and in reality are interchangeable. Imagine how easy it would be for a creep to use the internet as a platform to hide their predatory and disgusting tendencies.

Perhaps you should listen to the overwhelming majority telling you to at least, at the bare minimum, meet beforehand. And yes I know you feel that you know this guy more than we do and you can trust him and you've built this relationship with him. The likelihood is that the relationship you think you've built is based on pretences and you may not know him as well as you think you do. I'm not saying that you won't get on in real life but you really don't know him yet and he really doesn't know you yet. Talk to him about your concerns -- about how you want to meet him somewhere public and get to know him before going on holiday. If he's not a creep then I'm sure he'll understand.

ReputationRep:
    No, you're being incredibly naive. You do not know this person.

ReputationRep:
    don't feel like he's gonna rape you but dude probably just wants to get laid

ReputationRep:
    This honest to god sounds like the worst idea.

Don't.

You do not know this person. You may think you know, but you don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i asked this on reddit last night and it didn't go well 🙄 I think i just shouldve explained it a bit better.

He dm'd me on twitter 3/4 weeks ago, since then, we have spoken to each other via text or whatever for many hours (sometimes a whole day), every day! We know a lot about each other we just haven't met. We've wanted to but i'm at university (bristol) and he lives up north. For the time being, it's long distance but i'm on a foundation year and always planned to study at nottingham after this year (so me transferring unis was originally nothing to do with him but now it's obviously a benefit).

Anyways, he asked me to go on holiday with him next week, for a few days. I'm ok with missing a few days off uni, we don't have many contact hours anyways so i wouldn't be missing out on a lot, plus i'd catch up anyways. It was originally to Spain but my passport expired last month so we'd just stay in the UK.

What do you think ? bc i don't see much wrong but i just want to know your opinions bc i don't often have the greatest ideas. if youre gonna say no pls give an explanation any questions just ask aaaand thanks also he's 23 and paying for everything
    something similar happened with me, met him online, spoke for a while and then decided to meet. Went on for a year and then he broke it off due to difficulties with the distance/family etc

a few safe guards would be get his snapchat, easy to spot catfishes to non catfishes, have him other social media platforms too? also if you do decide to do this, id suggest at least meet him for a few hours at first and then go from there.

Sometimes what happens is with online relationships is that you start building the person up with your imagination too, as you've never met them, and can sometimes get disappointed as when you meet them, they arnt 'who you thought' ygm?

also tell a friend maybe, when you meet him? like the time and location just incase something goes wrong etc or even have find my friend on, so safety reasons, once you know he's legit then its all well and dandy

but like the others said, meet in a public place first, only because if something goes wrong, youd be able to slip away!!

PM me if you need any more advice

ReputationRep:
    What could go wrong

ReputationRep:
    We send snaps to each other a lot so i'm sure of what he looks like. and i deffo am not considering going only bc of the "free holiday" part, i just want to be with him idc where
    You are sounding like a besotted 12 year old. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would not do what you are suggesting. If you have any proper friends I hope they slap some sense into you before you become a statistic!

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i asked this on reddit last night and it didn't go well 🙄 I think i just shouldve explained it a bit better.

He dm'd me on twitter 3/4 weeks ago, since then, we have spoken to each other via text or whatever for many hours (sometimes a whole day), every day! We know a lot about each other we just haven't met. We've wanted to but i'm at university (bristol) and he lives up north. For the time being, it's long distance but i'm on a foundation year and always planned to study at nottingham after this year (so me transferring unis was originally nothing to do with him but now it's obviously a benefit).

Anyways, he asked me to go on holiday with him next week, for a few days. I'm ok with missing a few days off uni, we don't have many contact hours anyways so i wouldn't be missing out on a lot, plus i'd catch up anyways. It was originally to Spain but my passport expired last month so we'd just stay in the UK.

What do you think ? bc i don't see much wrong but i just want to know your opinions bc i don't often have the greatest ideas. if youre gonna say no pls give an explanation any questions just ask aaaand thanks also he's 23 and paying for everything
    what happens if day 1 of holiday you both start hating each other?

ReputationRep:
    why havent you video chatted? facetime etc?
    he could be sending you photos of anyone?

ReputationRep:
    You clearly know this is a terrible and dangerous idea. You should not go meet someone you've never met, regardless of talking online you know nothing about them and it could be anyone. Even if they are who they say, they may not be 'the same' as online and if that's the case then you're in for a few awkward days. Also, they will definitely be... expecting things... if they pay for a holiday for you.

If you're determined to meet them (and they're not your BF until you've met in persona nd actually liked them) then meet in a public safe place and tell a friend where you're going (and text them regularly to check in). Once you've done that a couple of times you can think about a holiday or whatever you like.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    If this was me, I'd take someone with me. I'm sure if he was genuine, he'd understand your reasons.

I have met people online and it was ok. But we were both sensible about it.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    YOLO missy. Just ask your mama.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid and frankly foolish idea.

ReputationRep:
    But how would I know he isn't going to murder or rape me ? I trust him cause i've been speaking with him for a long time now. Don't me wrong I once read the autobiography of Michelle Knight who was held captive for 9 years so i am aware of the danger of being kidnapped but i feel like i can trust this guy
    3/4 weeks is not a long time - I've got a tangerine in my fruit bowl I've had as long as that!

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice They were genuinely helpful for me 😬👍

We snapchat every day 😬

ReputationRep:
    We snapchat every day 😬
    So you only ever communicate over text? You don't have phone calls or video calls to hold an actual conversation in real time?

ReputationRep:
    do it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.