Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I graduated in 2012. What are the biggest challenges that you as students are facing today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MopaniMK)
    I graduated in 2012. What are the biggest challenges that you as students are facing today?
    Finances. Hugely.

I’m a student who has to take a year or two off before university because I can’t get enough of a loan to cover my funds whilst at Uni. I’m sure plenty of students at university also struggle financially.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Finances. Hugely.

I’m a student who has to take a year or two off before university because I can’t get enough of a loan to cover my funds whilst at Uni. I’m sure plenty of students at university also struggle financially.
    Thanks for sharing this. I am sure it is much harder than when I was there since the tuition fees were increased. How are you planning on building your finances?

ReputationRep:
    Tuition have nothing to do with living costs at uni

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for sharing this. I am sure it is much harder than when I was there since the tuition fees were increased. How are you planning on building your finances?
    Interestingly, it’s not tuition fees that are the issue. It’s the maintenance loan (that covers accommodation, food etc.) that you can only get a certain amount for depending on your parents income.

I’ll be taking a gap year or two and working full time in retail, saving up around 18-20k in order to then have funds at university. Unfortunately it’s my only option! x

ReputationRep:
    Interestingly, it’s not tuition fees that are the issue. It’s the maintenance loan (that covers accommodation, food etc.) that you can only get a certain amount for depending on your parents income.

I’ll be taking a gap year or two and working full time in retail, saving up around 18-20k in order to then have funds at university. Unfortunately it’s my only option! x
    See im left £150a week after rent

ReputationRep:

I see my mistake. Yes I remember this. Well done for saving up. You have just offered others a solution to that. I am sure working part time there is also an option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    See im left £150a week after rent
    Where do you for University? Is this manageable or you just keeping you head above the water?

ReputationRep:
    Where do you for University? Is this manageable or you just keeping you head above the water?
    I’m at Brunel and it’s £150a week after rent. That’s £150 for food

ReputationRep:
    Living life.

ReputationRep:
    I’m at Brunel and it’s £150a week after rent. That’s £150 for food
    Really I went to Brunel for a Foundation degree. I was in Clifton Hall. Perhaps you can try budgeting? I remember sometimes I literally ate noodles, or toast and beans for dinner sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 408655)
    Living life.
    What part of living?

ReputationRep:
    Really I went to Brunel for a Foundation degree. I was in Clifton Hall. Perhaps you can try budgeting? I remember sometimes I literally ate noodles, or toast and beans for dinner sometimes.
    I don’t need to budget a £150 a WEEK for food

ReputationRep:
    I don’t need to budget a £150 a WEEK for food
    So if £150 is left for food after rent, is there anything left for anything else?

ReputationRep:
    So if £150 is left for food after rent, is there anything left for anything else?
    Well basically that is my only cost other than rent to so I suppose it’s £150 for food, beer, clothes and goods which is more than plenty

ReputationRep:
    Well basically that is my only cost other than rent to so I suppose it’s £150 for food, beer, clothes and goods which is more than plenty
    That's great. Thought you were suggesting £150 is a too little for you.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    What part of living?
    haha everything, I don't really like my uni

ReputationRep:
    I see my mistake. Yes I remember this. Well done for saving up. You have just offered others a solution to that. I am sure working part time there is also an option?
    Indeed, I could work part time whilst at University. But rather than overloading myself whilst I’m there given I’d need to be working sort of 20+ hours a week, it’s better to work now and be able to focus solely on my studies once I get there. ☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 408655)
    haha everything, I don't really like my uni
    If you hate it perhaps consider a move? I know it is expensive, but are you willing to go through the years unhappy?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.