Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Indeed, I could work part time whilst at University. But rather than overloading myself whilst I’m there given I’d need to be working sort of 20+ hours a week, it’s better to work now and be able to focus solely on my studies once I get there. ☺️
    Agreed. I think that's a great move. No right or wrong. It will give you the piece of mind to focus on your studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MopaniMK)
    If you hate it perhaps consider a move? I know it is expensive, but are you willing to go through the years unhappy?
    It's a long story. I tried to transfer twice, last year and this year, but it didn't work out very well. Alas, not everyone gets what they want in life.

What about you - What were your struggles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 408655)
    It's a long story. I tried to transfer twice, last year and this year, but it didn't work out very well. Alas, not everyone gets what they want in life.

What about you - What were your struggles?
    Not everything works out the way you want. Having said that you never know what good can come out of you toughest moements.

My struggles involved money management and motivation to exceed in University. I had a year with accommodation issues and so on. I failed my first year and changed University. Failing that year brought out the best in me.

ReputationRep:
    Not everything works out the way you want. Having said that you never know what good can come out of you toughest moements.

My struggles involved money management and motivation to exceed in University. I had a year with accommodation issues and so on. I failed my first year and changed University. Failing that year brought out the best in me.
    I'm glad it turned out the best for you. And I totally relate with the financial management and study motivation. I think I have learnt to accept my situation and just get on with the studying while making the most of my experience here, as much as I hate being here. There's no more I can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 408655)
    I'm glad it turned out the best for you. And I totally relate with the financial management and study motivation. I think I have learnt to accept my situation and just get on with the studying while making the most of my experience here, as much as I hate being here. There's no more I can do.
    I like your mentality of just get on with it.

Why do you hate being there if I may ask?

ReputationRep:
    I like your mentality of just get on with it.

Why do you hate being there if I may ask?
    Well I've been here for 2 years and a half now. Each year has shown improvement. The first year was the worst, the second year I had learnt to adapt myself a bit more but I was still struggling, and now this year I am much happier than before, but still struggling in some ways. The only reason why I think I'm more happier now is because I've developed a lot of more of my strength, maturity and resilience.

So at first, I was a bit naive. I dreamt of university being like how they show in the movies, freedom, maturity, independence, the excitement etc. But when I came here, it hit me hard because university life was a lot more tough than I had imagined, especially with struggling to make friends and find your own way through a 'big social world'.
    Everything here is so different, the culture, the lifestyle, the people, the mentality. It makes me feel like I come from a completely different planet of people and this is why I struggled to find friends who I felt compatible with and I clicked really well with, which I did in the end, but they were only ever acquaintances and the real good friends were rare.
    It felt like I was in a small world and being on campus made me feel like I was living in a bubble.
    But what surprised me the most was the student culture. I don't want to be judgmental, but from what I've seen, it just seem to me a degraded culture. There is a lot of alcohol around, and all the time, I hear something happening or a dodgy story that happened to someone who I knew. Like they've been plenty of reported cases of accommodation vandalism on campus by drunk students in the middle of the night, students vomiting on the bus at 12am all over the floor, one of my friends was saying how he ended up in the bed of a complete stranger who he didn't even know and he lost all his valuable possessions from the night before, and I'm trying to sleep at 3am and all I hear is rowdy group of 20 students shouting and screaming on campus.
    There's also a lot of drugs around on campus, if you walk across the campus between 6-12 in the evenings, boys in hoodies will hide their face and approach you and ask if you want to buy their cannabis.
    Last year, there were wide spread rumours of prostitution on campus. But I think you're starting to get the general idea now? A lot of people who enjoy university are at the prime of their lives, with money to burn and parties to go to and a lot of friends, meanwhile all I do is worry about my studying and that I've fallen behind. It just makes me feel depressed, like I wanted to drop out and go back home. But as much as I wanted to, I could not. It would have been a huge waste of invested time and money, not to say the least - My family wouldn't have liked that I dropped out. Probably the only thing that keeps me going at university now is that I feel pressured by my family to return home with an outstanding grade. My parents have always pushed me to do well in my life, so I don't want to disappoint them. It was like this and by talking to close friend back home did I begin to build some resilience and motivation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.