Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I come out to my teachers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm transgender (female to male) and I go to an all girl school. All my friends know and call me my preferred name and pronouns so I know the teachers are aware. My parents are divorced and my dad is very supportive but it brings my mother to tears when we discuss it. I want to be able to tell the teachers so they can call me the right thing and do I won't feel so awful at school, however if it's put on registers I'm scared my mum will find out and I don't want to hurt her. Is there a way to keep it secret? Would the school need to talk to my parents if I told them? I'm 17 and live in England please tell me anything you may think will help to do with school not my mother. She just needs time but it's been years since I came out to friends and I suffer each time I hear the wrong pronouns and name from my teachers.

ReputationRep:
    The bravest thing you could have done was come out to your parents and I respect you for that honestly, it's not easy.

I think your not allowing yourself to be your full self because there's a few barriers stopping you, that being your mum. I get it, it's hard for her to process this all but it's harder for you so much more, you've come all this way please don't let your mum stop you from letting you be happy.

I think you should speak to your mum about this again, no matter how heartbroken she gets. I think that's the first step in allowing yourself to be free and continuing on to the next stage. Talk to her about it, tell her what you want to do and then go and do it.

ReputationRep:
    sorry but i sincerely dont understand why she is sad that you are a dude. you are still her child and you are still you so i don't understand. talk to her about it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.