This discussion is closed.
Yin Ming
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
I read a sentence from a book He has been on climbing expedition in many parts of the world. He has
climbed in the Alps, the Himalayas... be on climbing expedition? I know its meaning, but why use "on
expedition", does it mean he has gone for that expedition, and haven't finished it, right? So can we
use "be on xxx" in any situation like this?

Another. We sailed up the Red Sea and went through Suez Canal. sail up?

Salut. Yin Ming
Hemlock
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
He has been on a climbing expedition in many parts of the world. (a, ) but as worded - been on a
number of climbing expedition(s) or - on many climbing expeditions

The sentence implies completeness. the operative phrase is has been (done
it). on expedition on safari on a trip

is just general usage.

Sailed up the red Sea... I read as north. Not necessarily but I was trained to read a map with North
at the top. So going up, to me is north. Also if it were a river; toward the source of the river.
I'll bet I get some disagreement tho.

HTH - keep asking.

Hemlock

Yin Ming wrote:

[q1]> I read a sentence from a book He has been on climbing expedition in many parts of the world. He[/q1]
[q1]> has climbed in the Alps, the Himalayas... be on climbing expedition? I know its meaning, but why[/q1]
[q1]> use "on expedition", does it mean he has gone for that expedition, and haven't finished it, right?[/q1]
[q1]> So can we use "be on xxx" in any situation like this?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Another. We sailed up the Red Sea and went through Suez Canal. sail up?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Salut. Yin Ming[/q1]

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
Yin Ming
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 22:08:22 -0400, Hemlock <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]>He has been on a climbing expedition in many parts of the world. (a, ) but as worded - been on a[/q1]
[q1]>number of climbing expedition(s) or - on many climbing expeditions[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>The sentence implies completeness. the operative phrase is has been (done[/q1]
[q1]>it). on expedition on safari on a trip[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>is just general usage.[/q1]
umm, I got that..

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Sailed up the red Sea... I read as north. Not necessarily but I was trained to read a map with[/q1]
[q1]>North at the top. So going up, to me is north.[/q1]
Same as in RPG game. 8-)
[q1]>Also if it were a river; toward the source of the river. I'll bet I get some disagreement tho.[/q1]

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>HTH - keep asking.[/q1]
Thank you very much.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Yin Ming wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>> I read a sentence from a book He has been on climbing expedition in many parts of the world. He[/q2]
[q2]>> has climbed in the Alps, the Himalayas... be on climbing expedition? I know its meaning, but why[/q2]
[q2]>> use "on expedition", does it mean he has gone for that expedition, and haven't finished it,[/q2]
[q2]>> right? So can we use "be on xxx" in any situation like this?[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Another. We sailed up the Red Sea and went through Suez Canal. sail up?[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Salut. Yin Ming[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1[/q1]
[q1]>Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----[/q1]

Salut. Yin Ming
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (26)
18.18%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (40)
27.97%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (77)
53.85%

Watched Threads