Turn on thread page Beta

I read a sentence from a book He has been on climbing expedition in many parts of the world. He has
    climbed in the Alps, the Himalayas... be on climbing expedition? I know its meaning, but why use "on
    expedition", does it mean he has gone for that expedition, and haven't finished it, right? So can we
    use "be on xxx" in any situation like this?

Another. We sailed up the Red Sea and went through Suez Canal. sail up?

Salut. Yin Ming

He has been on a climbing expedition in many parts of the world. (a, ) but as worded - been on a
    number of climbing expedition(s) or - on many climbing expeditions

The sentence implies completeness. the operative phrase is has been (done
    it). on expedition on safari on a trip

is just general usage.

Sailed up the red Sea... I read as north. Not necessarily but I was trained to read a map with North
    at the top. So going up, to me is north. Also if it were a river; toward the source of the river.
    I'll bet I get some disagreement tho.

HTH - keep asking.

Hemlock

Yin Ming wrote:

[q1]> I read a sentence from a book He has been on climbing expedition in many parts of the world. He[/q1]
    [q1]> has climbed in the Alps, the Himalayas... be on climbing expedition? I know its meaning, but why[/q1]
    [q1]> use "on expedition", does it mean he has gone for that expedition, and haven't finished it, right?[/q1]
    [q1]> So can we use "be on xxx" in any situation like this?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Another. We sailed up the Red Sea and went through Suez Canal. sail up?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Salut. Yin Ming[/q1]

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 22:08:22 -0400, Hemlock <[email protected]> wrote:
    [q1]>He has been on a climbing expedition in many parts of the world. (a, ) but as worded - been on a[/q1]
    [q1]>number of climbing expedition(s) or - on many climbing expeditions[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>The sentence implies completeness. the operative phrase is has been (done[/q1]
    [q1]>it). on expedition on safari on a trip[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>is just general usage.[/q1]
    umm, I got that..

[q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Sailed up the red Sea... I read as north. Not necessarily but I was trained to read a map with[/q1]
    [q1]>North at the top. So going up, to me is north.[/q1]
    Same as in RPG game. 8-)
    [q1]>Also if it were a river; toward the source of the river. I'll bet I get some disagreement tho.[/q1]

[q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>HTH - keep asking.[/q1]
    Thank you very much.

[q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Yin Ming wrote:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]>> I read a sentence from a book He has been on climbing expedition in many parts of the world. He[/q2]
    [q2]>> has climbed in the Alps, the Himalayas... be on climbing expedition? I know its meaning, but why[/q2]
    [q2]>> use "on expedition", does it mean he has gone for that expedition, and haven't finished it,[/q2]
    [q2]>> right? So can we use "be on xxx" in any situation like this?[/q2]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>> Another. We sailed up the Red Sea and went through Suez Canal. sail up?[/q2]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>> Salut. Yin Ming[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1[/q1]
    [q1]>Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----[/q1]

Salut. Yin Ming

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.