Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't think I'm clever enough to be at university Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in second year now at university and I'm just really starting to think uni was a mistake and I really don't think I'm clever enough to be here. I struggle a lot with assignments and just always feel like I don't understand what's going on. I'm worried about how I'm going to manage third year if I'm struggling now. I'm really debating whether it's just worth dropping out. I don't particularly want to drop out but I don't know whether I am able to actually come out of this with a 2:1 and going through it all just to fail will be embarrassing.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaRebecca1997)
    I'm in second year now at university and I'm just really starting to think uni was a mistake and I really don't think I'm clever enough to be here. I struggle a lot with assignments and just always feel like I don't understand what's going on. I'm worried about how I'm going to manage third year if I'm struggling now. I'm really debating whether it's just worth dropping out. I don't particularly want to drop out but I don't know whether I am able to actually come out of this with a 2:1 and going through it all just to fail will be embarrassing.
    If you werent intelligent enough to handle it then the uni wouldnt have accepted you, so they definately believe that you can succeed . If you struggle with understanding things well see if you can spend more time going over the stuff and meet up with your teachers one to one so they can go through the info again and can tailor the explanation to make sense to you. If you still can't handle it well perhaps a break is in order? Take a year off and do a placement year or go abroad? You get more experience in whatever it is you want to do and the learning environment is much different than the lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaRebecca1997)
    what r u studying

ReputationRep:
    No keep going. Ask the teachers every time you’re stuck. Eventually it’ll click in and you’ll have an easy ride.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
    what r u studying
    Creative writing and media studies aka idk what I'm doing anyway

ReputationRep:
    Second year is a lot more full on than the first year which is why you might feel there is a big change. Talk to your lecturers if you are struggling with course content, or talk to your personal tutor. You could also talk to course mates and study together.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.