Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to gain some Law related work experience for my personal statement. How do I go about getting some? Any tips to help?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to have law work experience to apply for a law degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    You don't need to have law work experience to apply for a law degree.
    I'm not saying I need it, I'm saying I want to get some as It will look good on my personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there are many firms that offer an official work experience for pre-university students. What I did was make a CV and cover letter and emailed a bunch of firms until I got one. Try to do this as early as possible though because sometimes they'll either not reply or reply after a really long time.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itssbeckie)
    I need to gain some Law related work experience for my personal statement. How do I go about getting some? Any tips to help?
    Contacts or some sort of school-organised placement are the most common ways to get work experience. I swear that 90% of the people I've met or seen CVs of had work experience from companies that didn't offer formal opportunities (the type you apply to online, sit an interview for, etc) for people that young.

Some firms (such as Pinsent Masons and BLP) do host work experience programmes for Year 12 or 13 students - you'll have to look into that. JP Morgan had a legal internship scheme for Year 12s, but I suspect that the deadline might have passed.

The final option is to get some sort of scholarship from a company (they're usually reserved for low S/E backgrounds or BME applicants), which has work experience attached to it. Just keep in mind that these are very competitive, and may not offer the experience in time for the UCAS deadline.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying I need it, I'm saying I want to get some as It will look good on my personal statement.
    You said "I need to gain [it] for my personal statement". It is not necessary, nor indeed particularly helpful, to have legal work experience in your PS. It might serve to allow you to waffle on for 200 words, not really saying anything related to law, without it being incredibly obvious you're not saying anything related to law, but that is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    You said "I need to gain [it] for my personal statement". It is not necessary, nor indeed particularly helpful, to have legal work experience in your PS. It might serve to allow you to waffle on for 200 words, not really saying anything related to law, without it being incredibly obvious you're not saying anything related to law, but that is it.
    It is helpful, It'll look better on my application than to someone who has no experience and hasn't bothered to try and make an effort to show any interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flipurry)
    I don't think there are many firms that offer an official work experience for pre-university students. What I did was make a CV and cover letter and emailed a bunch of firms until I got one. Try to do this as early as possible though because sometimes they'll either not reply or reply after a really long time.
    Any suggestions on what to include in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Contacts or some sort of school-organised placement are the most common ways to get work experience. I swear that 90% of the people I've met or seen CVs of had work experience from companies that didn't offer formal opportunities (the type you apply to online, sit an interview for, etc) for people that young.

Some firms (such as Pinsent Masons and BLP) do host work experience programmes for Year 12 or 13 students - you'll have to look into that. JP Morgan had a legal internship scheme for Year 12s, but I suspect that the deadline might have passed.

The final option is to get some sort of scholarship from a company (they're usually reserved for low S/E backgrounds or BME applicants), which has work experience attached to it. Just keep in mind that these are very competitive, and may not offer the experience in time for the UCAS deadline.
    Ok, thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Any suggestions on what to include in it?
    For the CV, I'd put anything that might be a good skill (previous work experience, IT skills, languages, etc.)
    For the cover letter, maybe write why you want the experience, how you think you'd benefit from it in the you'd be a good fit for the workplace and maybe something to show additional interest in the industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flipurry)
    For the CV, I'd put anything that might be a good skill (previous work experience, IT skills, languages, etc.)
    For the cover letter, maybe write why you want the experience, how you think you'd benefit from it in the you'd be a good fit for the workplace and maybe something to show additional interest in the industry.
    Ok, thanks for the help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You really won't need legal work experience. It won't make your application form stand out. The main reason for this is that working in law is in many ways the polar opposite of studying law, and for that reason the admissions office/academics are more concerned about whether you will like the degree rather than a specific job (plus most law graduates don't pursue a career in law anyway!).

But if you want to get legal work experience for your own interest and self-development then look at http://www.primecommitment.org/ - although you will have to meet the eligibility criteria for any of the work experience programmes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    You really won't need legal work experience. It won't make your application form stand out. The main reason for this is that working in law is in many ways the polar opposite of studying law, and for that reason the admissions office/academics are more concerned about whether you will like the degree rather than a specific job (plus most law graduates don't pursue a career in law anyway!).

But if you want to get legal work experience for your own interest and self-development then look at http://www.primecommitment.org/ - although you will have to meet the eligibility criteria for any of the work experience programmes
    OK thanks, I've had a look but I do not meet the eligibility criteria as I'm not first generation going to university or have free school meals. Every placement website I have looked at for such things like this require this last one, so I'm not sure where else to look.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    OK thanks, I've had a look but I do not meet the eligibility criteria as I'm not first generation going to university or have free school meals. Every placement website I have looked at for such things like this require this last one, so I'm not sure where else to look.
    Use your networks - if your parents are on LinkedIn, ask them which of their 1st or 2nd degree contacts are lawyers and then contact them. Maybe go beyond your immediate family and see if any close family friends are also on LinkedIn and ask if you can do the same.

See if there are any lawyers on your school board, and if so ask them.

Write some speculative cover letters to local firm along with a copy of your CV.

If all this doesn't work, then don't worry about it too much - it isnt going to be that important.

Go and visit the courts and sit in some cases. Or sign up to something like this: https://www.thelawyerportal.com/even...portal-aspire/ - all those things will look as equally good on a PS as a few days work shadowing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Use your networks - if your parents are on LinkedIn, ask them which of their 1st or 2nd degree contacts are lawyers and then contact them. Maybe go beyond your immediate family and see if any close family friends are also on LinkedIn and ask if you can do the same.

See if there are any lawyers on your school board, and if so ask them.

Write some speculative cover letters to local firm along with a copy of your CV.

If all this doesn't work, then don't worry about it too much - it isnt going to be that important.

Go and visit the courts and sit in some cases. Or sign up to something like this: https://www.thelawyerportal.com/even...portal-aspire/ - all those things will look as equally good on a PS as a few days work shadowing.
    Ok, thanks for the help, hopefully I can get something😀

ReputationRep:
    It is helpful, It'll look better on my application than to someone who has no experience and hasn't bothered to try and make an effort to show any interest.
    The experience you will be getting is the wrong kind of experience. Work experience at a law firm won't involve all that much law.* Relevant experience would be reading cases, statutes and legal journals. Develop the knowledge you already have from your law A-Level, which is a good starting point to demonstrate interest but ultimately superficial.

Your fellow applicants will not be lacking demonstrated interest. Most of them will have work experience (the wrong kind) like you; so you won't stand out. All of them (including you) will be showing interest by talking about their intellectual ability and topics they find engaging.

(*You might say it is impressive you were chosen for work experience, especially if you secure a place on one of those opportunities mentioned by the Johan, and that impressiveness might excite admissions. But the majority of work experience places pre-applicants get are of the type J-SP describes: merely demonstrative of family connections. Indeed, some of the "impressive" ones are quite nepotistic too or merely a reflection of your GCSE grades, which admissions are perfectly able to peruse themselves.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.