Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would really appreciate any help from anyone!

Basically, the question is: Whether Hume's views on polytheism/monotheism are distorted by his focus upon Christianity?

I don't understand why his views would be distorted other than the fact that at the time the Churches were at war which may change his views on monotheism and how intolerant the religion is. Other than that, I am not too sure about how it would affect polytheism/any other way his focus on Christianity can affect his views on monotheism..
    Hope this makes sense!

It is largely based on his work 'Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion.'

Thanks!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by JYNE)
    Would really appreciate any help from anyone!

Basically, the question is: Whether Hume's views on polytheism/monotheism are distorted by his focus upon Christianity?

I don't understand why his views would be distorted other than the fact that at the time the Churches were at war which may change his views on monotheism and how intolerant the religion is. Other than that, I am not too sure about how it would affect polytheism/any other way his focus on Christianity can affect his views on monotheism..
    Hope this makes sense!

It is largely based on his work 'Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion.'

Thanks!!
    I haven't read Dialogues myself, but I think the main reason for why Hume's philosophy of religion sometimes gets called Eurocentric (and Christian-centric by extension) is that he portrays the evolution of religion as a kind of linear progression from polytheism to monotheism, with monotheism as the "superior" belief held by more civilised beings. The fact that he is coming from a European, Christian perspective makes it easier to view Christianity and monotheism as a whole as more advanced. That's probably the general angle you should be approaching the question from.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.