The Student Room Group

Is anyone else taking the GOVP4A exam in 2018?

Hi everyone,

I've decided to resit one of my politics papers in order to boost my overall grade to an A, this is the American government paper and I was wondering if anyone else was doing this paper. It's the last year for resits and they're now known as "legacy" a levels. This is in order to improve grad prospects in the future. I'd love to share revision material with anyone who was interested.

Scroll to see replies

yes i am doing this exam, currently in year 13 and have done the AS :smile:
Original post by verityfreeman
yes i am doing this exam, currently in year 13 and have done the AS :smile:

Oh that sounds amazing! I did the exam last year and messed up one of my papers so got a B overall so I might redo it:smile: how's it going so far? Just thought it would be good to have someone to share revision with
Original post by Theawesomejem
Hi everyone,

I've decided to resit one of my politics papers in order to boost my overall grade to an A, this is the American government paper and I was wondering if anyone else was doing this paper. It's the last year for resits and they're now known as "legacy" a levels. This is in order to improve grad prospects in the future. I'd love to share revision material with anyone who was interested.

I ended up with a B due to my Gov P1 mark. I'm resitting that in 2018 instead.
Original post by ugaaa5
I ended up with a B due to my Gov P1 mark. I'm resitting that in 2018 instead.

Found that content so dry unsure if I can do it again I'd rather redo A2 and I still have knowledge
Hi everyone,

hi. what problems did you face with the US politics subject? Is the material tough? Did you teachers tell you how to answer exam question for the various markers in order to get the top marks? what resources did you use for US politics? thanks.

@King_ajk
Original post by Audrey18
hi. what problems did you face with the US politics subject? Is the material tough? Did you teachers tell you how to answer exam question for the various markers in order to get the top marks? what resources did you use for US politics? thanks.

@King_ajk

My teacher was excellent she told me how to answer the question and I had the textbook and class notes plus an online video website called "prechewed politics", it was my fault it was my last exam so I slacked and didn't try as I was burnt out which pulled my grade down :smile:
My teacher was excellent she told me how to answer the question and I had the textbook and class notes plus an online video website called "prechewed politics", it was my fault it was my last exam so I slacked and didn't try as I was burnt out which pulled my grade down :smile:

could you share with us how to answer the various marker questions for politics? Also do you have sample answers you could upload here so we know how to answer in the exams to get the top marks?

were you slow in planning and writing out your answers? did you not have enough material in the first place so as to answer the questions? did you have difficulty in understanding the exam questions? what advice can you give us for those who're sitting for the politics exam in June next year?
could you share with us how to answer the various marker questions for politics? Also do you have sample answers you could upload here so we know how to answer in the exams to get the top marks?

were you slow in planning and writing out your answers? did you not have enough material in the first place so as to answer the questions? did you have difficulty in understanding the exam questions? what advice can you give us for those who're sitting for the politics exam in June next year?

I'll try and find the way to answer the questions and sample answers but I think I through most of it out as I never thought I'd do it again.

I'm a slow writer so I normally skip the planning stage, I actually thought the questions in the exam were good I just must have approached them the wrong way. My advice is start making revision material early as politics is one of the later exams so you can just read and do practice questions rather than having to make flashcards as it's content heavy. I started about a month before with proper intense revision, good luck!
HI, i'm going to be retaking the first a2 paper for american politics. I got an A but was really close to an A*
Original post by sophia1928
HI, i'm going to be retaking the first a2 paper for american politics. I got an A but was really close to an A*

You're retaking for an A*? How come and I'd be doing it for an A so aiming for as close to full marks as possible
You're retaking for an A*? How come and I'd be doing it for an A so aiming for as close to full marks as possible

Hi. I had a bit of a panic attack in the exam and I'm just really sad that I didn't get the grade I know I could have. Also, I'm applying to Oxford and it would be helpful to have another A*
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi. I had a bt of a panic attack in the exam and I'm just really sad that I didn't get the grade I know I could have. Also, I'm applying to Oxford and it would be helpful to have another A*

That's fair enough and I experienced something similar, are you on a gal year ?
That's fair enough and I experienced something similar, are you on a gal year ?

Yeah. How are you hoping to improve on your mark this year?
Yeah. How are you hoping to improve on your mark this year?

Relearning the content and lots of essay practice will hopefully be enough, I'm at Warwick uni and the workload is heavy so whenever I'm home I'll make notes on Constitution and supreme court
Relearning the content and lots of essay practice will hopefully be enough, I'm at Warwick uni and the workload is heavy so whenever I'm home I'll make notes on Constitution and supreme court

Why are you retaking if you're already at a great uni? Not judging, just wondering
Why are you retaking if you're already at a great uni? Not judging, just wondering

Improve job prospects for graduate schemes that are looking for straight As:smile:, if I fail I guess I will just have to look for schemes which aren't concerned about a levels

congrats on the fantastic grade. how did you study for US politics? please share your secrets to success. it'll be nice if you could upload resources, marked essays and anything useful that will assist us. thanks.
congrats on the fantastic grade. how did you study for US politics? please share your secrets to success. it'll be nice if you could upload resources, marked essays and anything useful that will assist us. thanks.

Hi! Thank you and haha sure. I'm afraid I don't actually have any marked essays (my teachers didn't rlly care) but I have my revision guides so i'll put those up. Also would highly recommend getting the edexcel revision books because I based most of my essays on them. Also, the key is to give really up to date examples so when I write essay plans I always look at the news for wierd **** trump is doing lol. I can't upload my revision stuff for a while be because I won't be able to get a hold of the computer for stupid reasons really but hopefully I can upload in the next two weeks. Sorry that's not that helpful
Hi! Thank you and haha sure. I'm afraid I don't actually have any marked essays (my teachers didn't rlly care) but I have my revision guides so i'll put those up. Also would highly recommend getting the edexcel revision books because I based most of my essays on them. Also, the key is to give really up to date examples so when I write essay plans I always look at the news for wierd **** trump is doing lol. I can't upload my revision stuff for a while be because I won't be able to get a hold of the computer for stupid reasons really but hopefully I can upload in the next two weeks. Sorry that's not that helpful

i look forward to your sharing in two weeks time. thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest