Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have my History A level exam in about 24 hours and I was wondering if there are any quick ways of learning last minute content?
    Also, any tips on writing good history essays with limited content?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    • Read the textbook over and over. It doesn't matter if you don't remember it all, you'll keep picking up enough parts to be somewhat helpful.
    • Flashcards for dates, facts, etc.
    • MAKE A TON OF PRACTISE "PLANNING" SHEETS. I emphasise this one because making essay plans is honestly one of the most helpful skills you can develop in History, especially if you already know what your essays are going to be on. If you don't, making practise plans for other questions will still develop your ability to quickly make one in the first 10-15 minutes of an exam.
    • If you have limited content to work with, consider the arguments you can make out of the limited content, and focus particularly on the counterarguments for which you don't need so much. For example if given a source that doesn't tell you much, you can outright say it's limited in its use, or doesn't tell the whole story etc.
    • Write practise paragraphs to get used to PEEL formatting. It doesn't need to be a whole essay, it's just a good way of warming up and getting used to your brain writing in that format.
    • Lastly, don't panic. You will legitimately start to forget everything if you do, though I know that can be hard to do. :yep:

EDIT: This is applicable up to A Level. I don't know how it works at uni, I dropped it after A2.
    EDIT 2: I couldn't help but notice you're self-teaching - if it's for the Edexcel syllabus feel free to leave a PM, I got an A so I can probably help

(Original post by M_ix)
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    • Read the textbook over and over. It doesn't matter if you don't remember it all, you'll keep picking up enough parts to be somewhat helpful.
    • MAKE A TON OF PRACTISE "PLANNING" SHEETS. I emphasise this one because making essay plans is honestly one of the most helpful skills you can develop in History, especially if you already know what your essays are going to be on. If you don't, making practise plans for other questions will still develop your ability to quickly make one in the first 10-15 minutes of an exam.
    • If you have limited content to work with, consider the arguments you can make out of the limited content, and focus particularly on the counterarguments for which you don't need so much. For example if given a source that doesn't tell you much, you can outright say it's limited in its use, or doesn't tell the whole story etc.
    • Write practise paragraphs to get used to PEEL formatting. It doesn't need to be a whole essay, it's just a good way of warming up and getting used to your brain writing in that format.
    • Lastly, don't panic. You will legitimately start to forget everything if you do, though I know that can be hard to do. :yep:

EDIT: This is applicable up to A Level. I don't know how it works at uni, I dropped it after A2.
    EDIT 2: I couldn't help but notice you're self-teaching - if it's for the Edexcel syllabus feel free to leave a PM, I got an A so I can probably help
    Thank you so much!! I am doing CIE exam board, but thank you so much for helping!

ReputationRep:
    flash cards and just read them over and over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_ix)
    Thank you so much!! I am doing CIE exam board, but thank you so much for helping!
    No problem! I don't know what CIE units are about, but if it's on Nazi Germany (1918-1945) or Civil Rights in the USA (1877-1981) I think I can help with them.

Either way best of luck, you got this! :yep:
    • Very Important Poster

They say they only have 24hours till the exam?

OP just make some last minute revision notes. You should already have them. 2-3 sides worth of notes of key facts and arguments.

In the exam do your best, spread your time proportionately and read the questions properly so you understand what they want.

Accept there is a limited amount you can do in 24 hours and get some sleep.

ReputationRep:
    No problem! I don't know what CIE units are about, but if it's on Nazi Germany (1918-1945) or Civil Rights in the USA (1877-1981) I think I can help with them.

Either way best of luck, you got this! :yep:
    I am doing the cold war. Thank you so much any way!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)

OP just make some last minute revision notes. You should already have them. 2-3 sides worth of notes of key facts and arguments.

In the exam do your best, spread your time proportionately and read the questions properly so you understand what they want.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)

I did all of the above in the last 24 hours before my exam, though I should have taken into account everyone works differently. Apologies, OP.

ReputationRep:
    I did all of the above in the last 24 hours before my exam, though I should have taken into account everyone works differently. Apologies, OP.
    No need to apologize. The tips you gave seem super helpful. I am also going to try and do them all if I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_ix)
    No need to apologize. The tips you gave seem super helpful. I am also going to try and do them all if I can.
    I'm glad. What 999tigger said about sleep is important though, so please don't sacrifice a good 9-10 hours sleep just trying to do everything on that list.

(That's slightly hypocritical as I'm doing the same thing on my degree right now, but...just trust us )

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad. What 999tigger said about sleep is important though, so please don't sacrifice a good 9-10 hours sleep just trying to do everything on that list.

(That's slightly hypocritical as I'm doing the same thing on my degree right now, but...just trust us )
    Haha. I'll make sure to get adequate sleep! Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.