Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’m currently in 2nd year and next year I go on placement. I am looking at some placements in London and their pay is only £6k for 52 weeks work! Obviously living in London on £6k isn’t going to work and was wondering if the student finance scheme would fully support me financially. How much less/more would I get compared to this year and next year being on placement?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lgallagher)
    Hi I’m currently in 2nd year and next year I go on placement. I am looking at some placements in London and their pay is only £6k for 52 weeks work! Obviously living in London on £6k isn’t going to work and was wondering if the student finance scheme would fully support me financially. How much less/more would I get compared to this year and next year being on placement?
    Hi Lgallagher,

Can you confirm if you will be on a full year paid or unpaid placement ? and if your placement will in a hospital, health or Local Authority, prison or probation sector?

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi Louise I am looking at a range of full-time placements most are unpaid and another is only £6k for the 52 weeks of work. The placement is within the event industryThanks Lauren

ReputationRep:
    Hi Louise I am looking at a range of full-time placements most are unpaid and another is only £6k for the 52 weeks of work. The placement is within the event industryThanks Lauren
    Hi Lgallagher,

For an unpaid placement of this type you could expect tuition fees up to £1800 and a reduced rate maintenance loan.

Warm regards,

Shaun.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Shaun
    Yes think my tuition fee is £750 during my placement year. Wanted to know if I would get a maintenance loan whilst on placement. What is the maximum maintenance loan whilst on placement and is it affected if the placement is paid or unpaid? Also is the loan affected if I move into London? Increase?
    Thanks
    Lauren

ReputationRep:
    Hi Shaun
    Yes think my tuition fee is £750 during my placement year. Wanted to know if I would get a maintenance loan whilst on placement. What is the maximum maintenance loan whilst on placement and is it affected if the placement is paid or unpaid? Also is the loan affected if I move into London? Increase?
    Thanks
    Lauren
    Hi Lgallagher,

The reduced rate maintenance loan for being in London is £3585 & £2553 for elsewhere. This is for 16/17 onward.

Warm regards,

Shaun.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.