Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently on a gap year and want to do medicine badly, but I didn't do well in a levels.I did do all the relevant subjects such as Chemistry,Biology and Maths. I got into a course for Biomedical science at Essex but I want to know how or if I even can transfer after the first year to an entry to medicine or medicine in general is that possible ? Will they look at my a levels or is it better to just finish my Biomedical science course and then apply to a graduate entry into medicine ?

ReputationRep:
    Some universities allow the transfer from their own programs to their own medical programme, but this is extremely competitive and you can't just show up from another university. If Essex has the possibility of transferring then work your ass off for that, but otherwise GEM it may be.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the fact that Essex does not have a medicine course so you can't transfer, like Volibear says, you can't walk in after one year from another university. Transfer courses tend to be an internal process, apart from the Bradford to Leeds foundation, and they do exist. Off the top of my head I can think of Newcastle, Sheffield, Exeter and Edinburgh, who run internal transfer onto medicine to high achieving biomedical students. I know Sheffield looks at A levels, but Newcastle doesn't and I am unsure about the rest. However, I would not recommend just setting your heart on a transfer, as you are stuck on the course if you don't. But it is up to you.

Edit: I have just realised that a medical school has been established at Anglia Ruskins though I am unsure if it will have links to University of Essex.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    Apart from the fact that Essex does not have a medicine course so you can't transfer, like Volibear says, you can't walk in after one year from another university. Transfer courses tend to be an internal process, apart from the Bradford to Leeds foundation, and they do exist. Off the top of my head I can think of Newcastle, Sheffield, Exeter and Edinburgh, who run internal transfer onto medicine to high achieving biomedical students. I know Sheffield looks at A levels, but Newcastle doesn't and I am unsure about the rest. However, I would not recommend just setting your heart on a transfer, as you are stuck on the course if you don't. But it is up to you.

Edit: I have just realised that a medical school has been established at Anglia Ruskins though I am unsure if it will have links to University of Essex.
    I will look into it so it seems my best chance is graduate and then apply for a fast paced entry to medicine

ReputationRep:
    You'll need a 2:1 I'm bio med and the apply to medicine. Can't transfer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clivedive)
    I will look into it so it seems my best chance is graduate and then apply for a fast paced entry to medicine
    Just bear in mind the 4 year courses will be even more competitive as there are fewer spaces. Don't just aim for 2.1 aim for a first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    Just bear in mind the 4 year courses will be even more competitive as there are fewer spaces. Don't just aim for 2.1 aim for a first.
    I dont quite understand what a 2.1 and first us yet is that a grading systemfor university's

ReputationRep:
    I dont quite understand what a 2.1 and first us yet is that a grading systemfor university's
    Yes. So at the end of your course you graduate with a degree with a grade, often depending on how well your cohort has done. Third-class honours is the lowest most universities go (could be wrong, please check!) followed by lower second-class honours (aka 2.2). Most medicine courses ask for an upper second-class honours (aka 2.1) and the highest is first-class honours.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently on a gap year and want to do medicine badly, but I didn't do well in a levels.I did do all the relevant subjects such as Chemistry,Biology and Maths. I got into a course for Biomedical science at Essex but I want to know how or if I even can transfer after the first year to an entry to medicine or medicine in general is that possible ? Will they look at my a levels or is it better to just finish my Biomedical science course and then apply to a graduate entry into medicine ?
    Some universities do allow transfers to medicine e.g. SGUL and a few others, but that's if you achieve in the top percentile and even then apparently it's very competitive. However, if your grades weren't that good you can always complete the Biomed degree and then go into medicine. I personally know friends who've got into med after biomed or even computer science (believe it or not) degree. Make sure you work hard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.