The Student Room Group

Leaving college (uk) after a year?

After I left school, I went straight into college in September 2016 to do a level 2 teaching assistant course. We were in 3 days a week and the other two we would do a placement in a school as a trainee assistant. I enjoyed the course to an extent but it was extremely strenuous (obviously) and my anxiety/depression hit a real low during that time. My attendance was pretty bad, but they allowed me to come back for level 3 because they said my work was great.

Now that I'm 17, and on level 3 I genuinely cannot see myself successfully completing the course at this time. I haven't been in for over a week, because I stress myself out about it all night and then end up being too exhausted to go in. They've threatened to quick me off if I don't come in, but I still can't bring myself to get a grip. I really want to leave, but I'm aware that it's pretty pathetic to do so, and basically giving up. My plan if I do leave is to get some counselling for my mental health issues, and then to move on to a college alternative such as springboard, while also looking for a job. I'm just so scared and disappointed in myself, and I was wondering if it sounds like I'm making a mistake, or am I doing the right thing? Thanks in advance.
If you honestly can't cope with attending your course and studying, then yes, I think you are doing the right thing. Your health and happiness needs to come first, and taking a break is a good idea to allow you to look after yourself. You do have a plan, which is good - seek help and treatment and then after that, work out what you want to do from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending