Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leaving college (uk) after a year? Watch

    • Thread Starter

    After I left school, I went straight into college in September 2016 to do a level 2 teaching assistant course. We were in 3 days a week and the other two we would do a placement in a school as a trainee assistant. I enjoyed the course to an extent but it was extremely strenuous (obviously) and my anxiety/depression hit a real low during that time. My attendance was pretty bad, but they allowed me to come back for level 3 because they said my work was great.

    Now that I'm 17, and on level 3 I genuinely cannot see myself successfully completing the course at this time. I haven't been in for over a week, because I stress myself out about it all night and then end up being too exhausted to go in. They've threatened to quick me off if I don't come in, but I still can't bring myself to get a grip. I really want to leave, but I'm aware that it's pretty pathetic to do so, and basically giving up. My plan if I do leave is to get some counselling for my mental health issues, and then to move on to a college alternative such as springboard, while also looking for a job. I'm just so scared and disappointed in myself, and I was wondering if it sounds like I'm making a mistake, or am I doing the right thing? Thanks in advance.

    If you honestly can't cope with attending your course and studying, then yes, I think you are doing the right thing. Your health and happiness needs to come first, and taking a break is a good idea to allow you to look after yourself. You do have a plan, which is good - seek help and treatment and then after that, work out what you want to do from there.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

    Sponsored features:

    Making money from your own website

    Need some cash?

    How to make money running your own website.

    Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

    Handle your digital footprint

    What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.