Turn on thread page Beta

Leaving college (uk) after a year? watch

ReputationRep:
    After I left school, I went straight into college in September 2016 to do a level 2 teaching assistant course. We were in 3 days a week and the other two we would do a placement in a school as a trainee assistant. I enjoyed the course to an extent but it was extremely strenuous (obviously) and my anxiety/depression hit a real low during that time. My attendance was pretty bad, but they allowed me to come back for level 3 because they said my work was great.

Now that I'm 17, and on level 3 I genuinely cannot see myself successfully completing the course at this time. I haven't been in for over a week, because I stress myself out about it all night and then end up being too exhausted to go in. They've threatened to quick me off if I don't come in, but I still can't bring myself to get a grip. I really want to leave, but I'm aware that it's pretty pathetic to do so, and basically giving up. My plan if I do leave is to get some counselling for my mental health issues, and then to move on to a college alternative such as springboard, while also looking for a job. I'm just so scared and disappointed in myself, and I was wondering if it sounds like I'm making a mistake, or am I doing the right thing? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    If you honestly can't cope with attending your course and studying, then yes, I think you are doing the right thing. Your health and happiness needs to come first, and taking a break is a good idea to allow you to look after yourself. You do have a plan, which is good - seek help and treatment and then after that, work out what you want to do from there.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.