Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I received this email today telling me that I passed the online numerical/logical reasoning tests:

We're pleased to tell you that you have been successful in the latest stage of the selection process. We are still screening applications and will be making our final candidate shortlist by beginning of December. If you are successful in being shortlisted we will be in touch after above date to invite you to an assessment centre. Please note that if you are shortlisted to attend, the assessment centre will take place on 14th December.

Thank you and congratulations on reaching this stage of the process.

Does this mean that although I've passed all online tests/video interview, I may not necessarily be invited to an assessment centre? I don't know what to make of the e-mail. Surely they should invite everyone who has been successful so far?

Thanks in advance.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JME1993)
    Hi all,

I received this email today telling me that I passed the online numerical/logical reasoning tests:

We're pleased to tell you that you have been successful in the latest stage of the selection process. We are still screening applications and will be making our final candidate shortlist by beginning of December. If you are successful in being shortlisted we will be in touch after above date to invite you to an assessment centre. Please note that if you are shortlisted to attend, the assessment centre will take place on 14th December.

Does this mean that although I've passed all online tests/video interview, I may not necessarily be invited to an assessment centre? I don't know what to make of the e-mail. Surely they should invite everyone who has been successful so far?

Thanks in advance.
    They will look at all the applicants and see how many candidates were successful in the tests. They can't necessarily invite everyone to the assessment centre - there could be a million people that have passed, and they won't have time, space and money to invite everyone.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much exactly what Juno said - it's not feasible to invite everyone to the assessment centre, sadly; they'll refine the invites based on how everyone has done so far, and the number who have reached this stage, and work from there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. It was in my head that they monitor numbers throughout the whole process (after video interviews for example) in order to (roughly) be at the right number once they reach the final stage AC.

Will they shortlist taking everything into account (CV/Application form/vid interview/test results)?

Cheers
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
    You have passed the tests, but there is no guarantee you will be invited to the assessment centre. It isn't unusual for their to be a second screen based on the strength of your application form after tests have taken place.

There would be no reason to invite everyone if there were 100s of candidates who had passed the tests and they only had 10 jobs.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well, they can have a rough idea, but they can't guarantee that the "correct" number of people will pass the tests. So they can shortlist numbers down after the earlier parts and hope that 10% will fail the tests, but if the candidates are well prepared it's possible that too many will pass.

They will shortlist using whatever criteria they wish - they haven't stated. It's possible they'll look at everything, but equally they could just decide to take the top scoring candidates from the tests or use other methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    You have passed the tests, but there is no guarantee you will be invited to the assessment centre. It isn't unusual for their to be a second screen based on the strength of your application form after tests have taken place.

There would be no reason to invite everyone if there were 100s of candidates who had passed the tests and they only had 10 jobs.
    I understand. See my last post above though. I've also passed the video interview stage - I thought they'd have filtered a LOT of the candidates out at that stage.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. It was in my head that they monitor numbers throughout the whole process (after video interviews for example) in order to (roughly) be at the right number once they reach the final stage AC.

Will they shortlist taking everything into account (CV/Application form/vid interview/test results)?

Cheers
    They may do some form of scoring matrix that looks at the different assessment stages so far, and then shortlist the best candidates from that.

Its more likely they only did a basic application sift before the testing, just removing anyone who applied who wasn't eligible, and that this sifting process will be more thorough, looking at the detail of your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well, they can have a rough idea, but they can't guarantee that the "correct" number of people will pass the tests. So they can shortlist numbers down after the earlier parts and hope that 10% will fail the tests, but if the candidates are well prepared it's possible that too many will pass.

They will shortlist using whatever criteria they wish - they haven't stated. It's possible they'll look at everything, but equally they could just decide to take the top scoring candidates from the tests or use other methods.
    Understood. Thank you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I understand. See my last post above though. I've also passed the video interview stage - I thought they'd have filtered a LOT of the candidates out at that stage.
    Not necessarily - many organisations are using video interviews before they actually properly read the application form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Not necessarily - many organisations are using video interviews before they actually properly read the application form.
    By video interview, I mean a live Skype interview with a recruiter, not one of those video recording ones.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    By video interview, I mean a live Skype interview with a recruiter, not one of those video recording ones.
    They are still used in that way too. Many are using video interviews as an earlier selection tool rather than a latter one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    They are still used in that way too. Many are using video interviews as an earlier selection tool rather than a latter one.
    I see. Well I'll just have to hope that my application/interview/test results were good enough to make the cut. Cheers.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I see. Well I'll just have to hope that my application/interview/test results were good enough to make the cut. Cheers.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Good luck!
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.