Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dropping out of uni Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've been at uni for 2 months now and although I'm really enjoying the people and the social life here, I've been really considering dropping out. Firstly, the lectures have been quite disappointing and not what I expected in that its usually 2 hours of just looking at different types of graphs and stuff and generally they are just quite dull. I only have 5 of these lectures a week meaning I only spend 10 hours of my week really doing anything and so I get really bored. I get given assignments and essays to write but I have no motivation or interest in doing extra reading for them or really putting much effort in to them and end up just rushing them on the last few days before they're due. In addition to this, I really dislike having to look after myself as in cooking my own food, washing etc and for what seems like the last 3 weeks I've just been constantly ill and cant seem to get better. In the first few weeks it wasn't so bad as I was playing football and going to the gym and stuff which kept me busy but now i just feel too rundown to go and I really have to force myself to go to my lectures.
    The only positive thing I've found is the people I'm in halls with as they're all great and I would feel quite bad dropping out and leaving them as we all get on and have a lot of good nights out together. I've also found a lot of people on my course who I get on with too, who also feel as though the course is a bit rubbish, but they seem to be able to just get on with it.
    I feel like I could be over-reacting a bit and that 2 months isn't nearly long enough to base the entire course off, but i just feel like im wasting time and money for something that isn't worth it and I dread the thought of doing this for 3 years.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Are you actually interested in the course contact at all or is it just the teaching style which you dislike? Have you thought about looking at other courses at other university or transferring courses?

Are you eating and sleeping well? If you have been ill for the past 3 weeks and show no signs of getting better, I would recommend going to the doctor (although you don't specify your symptoms). I know it can be bothersome having to take care of yourself, but it prepares you for adulthood, where you do have to be more independent. You could look at tips and tricks - for example, buying in bulk and cooking one huge meal, divide the portions, eat one and freeze the rest. For the next few days, you can just reheat the portions. You could also look at student cookbooks or online tutorials, which are designed for easy cooking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kezza3166)
    Hi,
    I've been at uni for 2 months now and although I'm really enjoying the people and the social life here, I've been really considering dropping out. Firstly, the lectures have been quite disappointing and not what I expected in that its usually 2 hours of just looking at different types of graphs and stuff and generally they are just quite dull. I only have 5 of these lectures a week meaning I only spend 10 hours of my week really doing anything and so I get really bored. I get given assignments and essays to write but I have no motivation or interest in doing extra reading for them or really putting much effort in to them and end up just rushing them on the last few days before they're due. In addition to this, I really dislike having to look after myself as in cooking my own food, washing etc and for what seems like the last 3 weeks I've just been constantly ill and cant seem to get better. In the first few weeks it wasn't so bad as I was playing football and going to the gym and stuff which kept me busy but now i just feel too rundown to go and I really have to force myself to go to my lectures.
    The only positive thing I've found is the people I'm in halls with as they're all great and I would feel quite bad dropping out and leaving them as we all get on and have a lot of good nights out together. I've also found a lot of people on my course who I get on with too, who also feel as though the course is a bit rubbish, but they seem to be able to just get on with it.
    I feel like I could be over-reacting a bit and that 2 months isn't nearly long enough to base the entire course off, but i just feel like im wasting time and money for something that isn't worth it and I dread the thought of doing this for 3 years.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    So you're pretty much like every other student.

Stick with it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.