Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Elsie Scully-Hicks: Dad jailed for life for murder Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Matthew Scully-Hicks was found guilty of murdering his 18-month daughter just two weeks after she'd been formally adopted by Matthew and his husband, Craig Scully-Hicks.

Matthew Scully-Hicks called the emergency services in May 2016, stating that his daughter was unresponsive. Scully-Hicks claimed during the trial that he never harmed Elsie, but pathologist said her injuries were "very typical" of a shaken baby, which was further supported by the post-mortem examination.

The jury found him unanimously guilty of murder, and he has been told he must serve at least 18 years in jail before being considered for release.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-41892994

A particularly horrific bit of news, bad enough for the child to have been killed, but even worse for it to be at the hands of one of the people who was supposed to love her unconditionally

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad he got the sentence he did. That poor little girl. I also read her birth parents fought to keep her. Imagine how different things would have been if they had won. Heartbreaking to read.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I'm so glad he got the sentence he did. That poor little girl. I also read her birth parents fought to keep her. Imagine how different things would have been if they had won. Heartbreaking to read.
    Horrific for his husband too, such a tragic situation for him to have been left in

ReputationRep:
    Good. I support the death penalty for cases like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Good riddance,
    You applaud the death of a child?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You applaud the death of a child?
    His sentance. Changed it.

ReputationRep:
    What a sad story

ReputationRep:
    The tragedy is that this creature was himself a victim of the peddling of a social agenda by whoever placed that poor child with him. Heads should roll over this, there is a stack of evidence to make the case and it is shameful that nobody will end up 'made accountable' for this horrific case. It happened with baby P, very much doubt it will on this one. More lessons to be learned by everyone, as usual.

The child's grandmother had applied for her adoption but instead she ended up with someone totally inept, a proven track record of it over seven months. Why?

ReputationRep:
    Freak. Who shakes a baby.

ReputationRep:
    Seems harsh. Did he do it on purpose? If it happened because he was stupid and shook her to say be quiet (and yes i believe some people are so stupid hey wouldn't think about the implications of a shaking a baby) then life is a harsh sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Seems harsh. Did he do it on purpose? If it happened because he was stupid and shook her to say be quiet (and yes i believe some people are so stupid hey wouldn't think about the implications of a shaking a baby) then life is a harsh sentence.
    Wouldn't it be manslaughter in that case?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.