Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone who has studied/is currently studying law at a highly ranked university would be able to tell me if my average GCSEs of : A* A B B B B B C C C would be countered by my Alevels: A* A* A* for me to get a place in a Oxbridge/Russel Group University or if my GCSEs have ruined my chances
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    not oxford but other than that yes

ReputationRep:
    Are these achieved or predicted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Are these achieved or predicted?
    Predicted

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge place more emphasis on A-Levels whereas Oxford are pretty GCSE-heavy, you'd definitely get a place at a RG university with 3 A*'s as well as a very good chance at Cambridge (though I'm sure their admissions test is probably the most important factor).

If these are your predicted grades, then I highly doubt Cambridge will give you an offer - however if you've already achieved them that's a different story.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible that, if you were asked to interview in Cambridge and all went well, they might be tempted to make you an offer, or perhaps higher than usual offer: maybe A*A*A or A*A*A*? Or if they didn't want to take the risk of making an offer on such scant hard evidence of academic excellence, you could see about applying the year after when you've achieved your grades. They might also be interested in an explanation of why it's plausible that you'll get A*A*A* after you got what you did in GCSEs.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasmine__)
    I was wondering if anyone who has studied/is currently studying law at a highly ranked university would be able to tell me if my average GCSEs of : A* A B B B B B C C C would be countered by my Alevels: A* A* A* for me to get a place in a Oxbridge/Russel Group University or if my GCSEs have ruined my chances
    Thanks
    Yes, A-levels are more important than GCSEs.

There's no minimum requirement for GCSEs at Cambridge. If you are on target to meet their typical offer (A*AA for Law) then apply. Indeed Cambridge likes an "upward academic trajectory" (e.g. "poor" GCSEs followed by good A-levels).

Worst case, you can always re-apply with A-level grades achieved in a gap year.

PS. The Russell Group is not a badge of quality. It's just a lobby group of self-selected universities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.