The Student Room Group

Which University ?

Hi,
I currently live in India and have chosen Business and Management courses.

I've applied to and received conditional offers from University of Reading, Bath, Nottingham, East-Anglia, and Loughborough .

I have to make a firm choice now (I'm confident I'll meet the conditions of all five).

I'm confused as to which University to choose. I've researched a lot online but I still am not sure.

Any input? ( based on the course quality, city life etc )

Thanks!!
Reply 1
Original post by Sohampatni
Hi,

I've applied to and received conditional offers from University of Reading, Bath, Nottingham, East-Anglia, and Loughborough .

I have to make a firm choice now (I'm confident I'll meet the conditions of all five).

I'm confused as to which University to choose. I've researched a lot online but I still am not sure.

Thanks!!

Hey,
I too am indian. can you please specify which course you applied to and your grades
In terms of uni reputation:

1) Bath
2) Nottingham
3) Loughborough
4) East Anglia
5) Reading
Reply 3
Bath has the best reputation out of the 5, so I’d put that as my firm choice
Reply 4
NN12,N200 courses
The predicted score I have entered in UCAS is 85%
Reply 5
Reply 6
NN12,N200 courses
The predicted score I have entered in UCAS is 85%

Hey,
Good that you've got all of your offers, but when you've an 85% prediction why didn't you apply to better unis like Edinburgh and manchester? you could have received an offer even from there. Anyway best wishes for your future.
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
In terms of uni reputation:

1) Bath
2) Nottingham
3) Loughborough
4) East Anglia
5) Reading

In terms of the overall university reputation yes this probably correct, but the OP is going to study Business and Management, and Henley Business School (Reading) is very very reputable indeed
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cpocha1
Hey,
Good that you've got all of your offers, but when you've an 85% prediction why didn't you apply to better unis like Edinburgh and manchester? you could have received an offer even from there. Anyway best wishes for your future.

Maybe he didn't only apply to unis based on their reputation?
Reply 9
[QUOTE="LMsav;74479236"]Maybe he didn't only apply to unis based on their reputation?[/QUOTE
When I say better it includes everything from reputation to academics and the way tutors teach.
I think some of these replies are rather misleading.

Loughborough is small town, so if you are looking for somewhere with a city/large town this might not be your best bet. UEA has Norwich nearby, which is a nice town but its probably not going to give you the same student life as somewhere like Nottingham.

Reading business school is fantastic, and I worked with someone on my internship last year who did their degree in Banking and Finance at Reading. Bath and Nottingham both have great reputations, though I'd say Nottingham will provide the best city feel out of your options. In reality, the reputation does mean a little bit, but strong work experience and references will mean more to employers in most sectors than simply where you studied, so try not to get too hung up on the rep.

Hope this helps somewhat
[QUOTE="cpocha1;74479274"]
Original post by LMsav
Maybe he didn't only apply to unis based on their reputation?[/QUOTE
When I say better it includes everything from reputation to academics and the way tutors teach.

Yes, but giving him examples of universities you think are reputable when they have already got their choices is hardly constructive
@cpocha1 I've lived in the UK before and I didn't want to stay in Scotland, and the management courses were best at these 5 unis according to my research ( other then oxbridge ) ://
@cpocha1 I've lived in the UK before and I didn't want to stay in Scotland, and the management courses were best at these 5 unis according to my research ( other then oxbridge ) ://

ok! Then proceed as you wish.
@LMsav Thanks for your input! Definitely helped.

Assuming I acquire strong work experience and references at both unis, will it matter if i choose UEA over say Reading or Nottingham ?
(Based just on employability)

Also, if YOU were to choose, which uni would you choose ?
I'm having a hard time because Nottingham and Reading have such great business schools, Bath is so highly rated overall, and UEA is offering a great scholarship.

Assuming I acquire strong work experience and references at both unis, will it matter if i choose UEA over say Reading or Nottingham ?

I'm having a hard time because Nottingham and Reading have such great business schools, Bath is so highly rated overall, and UEA is offering a great scholarship.

Many people on this group will tell you ONLY thing that matters is a universities rep. Honestly it matters a little, not a lot.

You must choose the university you can foresee yourself being the most comfortable at, and remember that the business course at each of the unis you have chosen will vary, so make sure to check the specifics!

UEA is a very good university. A fantastic reference and work experience will stand out over a unis rep! Some sectors (investment banking) are very finite and have target universities and semi targets, but there aren't too many of these sectors where uni rep is really that important. In answer to your question, I think going to UEA instead of Nottingham or Reading is going to make very little if no difference whatsoever, especially with great references and work experience.

If you can't go to the unis to form an opinion, make sure to check the course specifics, type of uni (campus/city etc), and student satisfaction. If you've been offered a scholarship at UEA that'd absolutely be something to consider.

If it were me I'd go with UEA or Nottingham. A scholarship is fantastic and I personally love Nottingham as a uni itself. I hope you come to a decision and try not to get too hung up on employment and uni rep!

And just to add, the degree classification is very important, a 2:1 at UEA beats a 2:2 at Bath. UEA has very high student satisfaction which is very important indeed.

Good luck!
Hi,

Thanks!!

Hi,

Great to see that you are considering the University of Reading!

If you have any questions in particular, feel free to ask us.

I think you should make a list of what you consider to be most important about going to university and then use this to make your decision.
You could then post in each of the universities' TSR forums with a defined set of questions and the responses you receive will be able to help you make the decision.

When I made my university choices, I found that attending their offer holder visit days was the most effective method of shaping my decision. I appreciate that this may not be possible for you so would recommend utilising recourses such as TSR to get a student perspective if each institution.

I hope that helps.

Dan :smile:
Second Year Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest