Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Uni for BSc Psych Distance Learning? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I'm currently looking to take a distance learning part-time BSc Psychology course as my second degree and the course is available by these different institutions. If you were choosing, which would you go for? /If anyone has any info regarding institution reputation beyond the disappointingly-vague league tables please do share!

Open University
    Arden University
    University of Derby
    University of East London
    University of Highlands and Islands.

Many thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerhapsPhysio)
    Hey everyone!

I'm currently looking to take a distance learning part-time BSc Psychology course as my second degree and the course is available by these different institutions. If you were choosing, which would you go for? /If anyone has any info regarding institution reputation beyond the disappointingly-vague league tables please do share!

Open University
    Arden University
    University of Derby

Many thanks
    Discount Arden, it's not a proper university IMO. Derby and East London both have pretty terrible reputations, so I personally wouldn't waste my money on them either. Have a look at the module options at the Open University and UHI, I believe they're quite different (the OU has less modules, but they're worth more credits - so you don't get as much choice in what you study). It might be worth checking with UHI that their Psychology degree is still available via distance learning, their website doesn't say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Discount Arden, it's not a proper university IMO. Derby and East London both have pretty terrible reputations, so I personally wouldn't waste my money on them either. Have a look at the module options at the Open University and UHI, I believe they're quite different (the OU has less modules, but they're worth more credits - so you don't get as much choice in what you study). It might be worth checking with UHI that their Psychology degree is still available via distance learning, their website doesn't say.
    Hi there, thanks so much for replying! It's quite a confusing choice at this point.
    I have to say I've never actually heard of UHI or Arden which is why they weren't top of my agenda. I had originally planned to attend OU purely because it was the only online/distance learning course I was aware of at the time. It threw me a little when I heard that other unis offer said accredited online courses.

May I ask what your opinion is of OU? Is it the least worst out of the selection or do you think its a good degree to have? I'm hoping to go on to Doctorate level after this which is why I'm worrying a little.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, thanks so much for replying! It's quite a confusing choice at this point.
    I have to say I've never actually heard of UHI or Arden which is why they weren't top of my agenda. I had originally planned to attend OU purely because it was the only online/distance learning course I was aware of at the time. It threw me a little when I heard that other unis offer said accredited online courses.

May I ask what your opinion is of OU? Is it the least worst out of the selection or do you think its a good degree to have? I'm hoping to go on to Doctorate level after this which is why I'm worrying a little.
    The OU is certainly more well known than UHI and it is well respected by employers and universities alike. They've also been doing distance learning a lot longer than anybody else so they know what they're doing, and they have excellent study resources. The one down side is as I've said, the lack of module choice, but if that doesn't bother you then go for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    The OU is certainly more well known than UHI and it is well respected by employers and universities alike. They've also been doing distance learning a lot longer than anybody else so they know what they're doing, and they have excellent study resources. The one down side is as I've said, the lack of module choice, but if that doesn't bother you then go for them.
    Thank you for reconfirming things in my mind. It's obviously a big decision to make which is why I panicked a little and strayed from my initial plans to study with The OU! It doesn't bother me really. They go quite in-depth which I actually appreciate more than wider variation in topic choices. I also like that they offer a credit-transfer scheme which may mean I can skip the introductory module(s) and not have to repeat myself. I've e-mailed BPS to double check that doing that wouldn't affect the course's accreditation though. Fingers crossed they come back saying it won't.

Thank you once again! Very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    As a current student of @Arden University, I can vouch that it is a 'proper' University and has degree awarding powers.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about Arden as are the Student Support & Admissions Team.

Making the right choice is important and getting all the facts about each institution is also important.

If you have any questions, please ask away!

BM
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iambenmunro)
    As a current student of @Arden University, I can vouch that it is a 'proper' University and has degree awarding powers.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about Arden as are the Student Support & Admissions Team.

Making the right choice is important and getting all the facts about each institution is also important.

BM
    I suspect you're being paid to say this (your post history is very suspect). The fact is Arden was set up to make money, it has no academic credibility. If you really are a student there, which I doubt, I'm afraid you've been conned.

ReputationRep:
    Student only - not paid at all.

Simply offering advice, as you are.

Regardless how or why it was set up, it has the power to award degrees and those powers are given by the UK Goverment. They wouldn’t just give such powers and accreditations out.

As I would say to anyone, if you’re in doubt, approach the Uni and get the facts and figures.

Everybody has an opinion.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Student only - not paid at all.

Simply offering advice, as you are.

Regardless how or why it was set up, it has the power to award degrees and those powers are given by the UK Goverment. They wouldn’t just give such powers and accreditations out.

As I would say to anyone, if you’re in doubt, approach the Uni and get the facts and figures.

Everybody has an opinion.

:rofl: Yes, they would - and they have. Whether Arden has powers to award degrees or not is irreverent, the question is will anyone ever value the degree? The answer is no. Just look at the University of Buckingham, another Tory experiment in Higher Education, it is an academic laughing stock. Arden is no different.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Open University
    Arden University
    University of Derby

Many thanks

Hi,

Firstly, we are excited to know that you are considering studying with us. We wanted to help your decision by providing some information on Arden and clarifying a few points mentioned in this thread.

We have over 50 years’ experience in providing high-quality online education to people all over the world. Here's a brief video that explains our journey from providing flexible online learning in partnership with established universities, to being awarded full University title in our own right and becoming Arden University. https://youtu.be/-pRxkXdil9k

Our University status is a confirmation that the government is confident that our academic standards, financial status, and governance structure meet the stringent criteria required for the university title. We are also regulated by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA), like all other UK Universities. We submitted an annual return to the QAA in December 2016 with an excellent outcome, that demonstrates that we are continuing to maintain academic standards and enhance the quality of student learning opportunities and information about learning opportunities. You can read the report on our institution profile on their website.

Many of our courses have professional accreditations such as BPS, CIM and APM – which means you can be sure your qualification is meeting industry standards, and will be valued by employers globally.

We want people to benefit from modern, accessible and flexible ways of learning that truly support their career ambition. You can read some testimonials from our students and some of our student reps like @BenMunro are active on TSR soon so you can speak with them directly about their experiences studying here.

We hope this helps a little with your decision, please let us know if we can answer any more questions for you.

ReputationRep:

BM
    Hey there BM,
    There's no doubt its a proper uni as the BPS accredits the Psychology degree! Out of OU and Arden, Arden is actually more expensive per year which I was quite surprised about. On that alone I feel more obliged to opt for OU.

Does Arden offer credit transfers do you know? That's something I'm looking into with OU to try and fast track the first year. Unfortunately I can only gain funding for part time study but wanted to be finished a little quicker than six years!

May I also ask about marking scores/assessments? Is it more essay based? (I like essays and exams more than online tests or presentations etc.). Weirdly enough I noticed OU have a different marketing scheme to my past two unis where 85% translates as 70% in a 'traditional uni'.

Thanks again for offering to help much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there BM,
    There's no doubt its a proper uni as the BPS accredits the Psychology degree! Out of OU and Arden, Arden is actually more expensive per year which I was quite surprised about. On that alone I feel more obliged to opt for OU.

Does Arden offer credit transfers do you know? That's something I'm looking into with OU to try and fast track the first year. Unfortunately I can only gain funding for part time study but wanted to be finished a little quicker than six years!

May I also ask about marking scores/assessments? Is it more essay based? (I like essays and exams more than online tests or presentations etc.). Weirdly enough I noticed OU have a different marketing scheme to my past two unis where 85% translates as 70% in a 'traditional uni'.

Thanks again for offering to help much appreciated!

Hey,

Arden uses a range of assessment methods and it is usually assignment based. Tutor support is good and as Arden moves forward they are always coming out with ways to interact with students.

If you want and what I suggest is you contact our fantastic Student Support. Siân one of the Student Support Team Staff will be best placed to answer your course specific questions regarding tuition and course specifics. Her email address is [email protected]. She is very helpful and will always get you the information you need. She will also be able to send you programme information.

If I can help further, let me know

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am an MBA student studying via Arden University, my Degree is sponsored by Anglia Ruskin University. Arden had also established blended learning facilities around the UK,and Europe I.e. Dublin and Berlin. Providing access to distance learners, it now has independent degree awarding powers. I have been a student Representative for the MBA programme for 2 years, have served on the academic board, QualityvStandards Commitee, while also being in both the Arden and Anglia Ruskin Business Committee. I attend via Skype and balance my contribution and work life in Saudi Arabia to meet these needs. Arden is real. I am certainly glad to have chosen Arden, I look forward to my graduation in Cambridge next October. What a journey it has been , highs and lows just like life. But don’t take other people’s word for it do your own due dillagence it’s your learning so choose wisely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.