Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    CASE: I am a medicine applicant. Because medicine is my new interest, I didn't take bio and could not apply to any of my dream unis except for Oxbridge. To compensate, I devoted my entire summer doing work experience, shadowing, volunteering and what not....only I know how freaking hard and time-consuming it was to get these opportunities in my city. Because I spent the entire summer on my medical experiences, I didn't get time to prepare for UKCAT/BMAT and flopped them. When it was time to apply, I also got lower predicted grades than I deserved due to teacher changes.

I'm so pessimistic about my future that I don't even feel like studying. I know I can apply next year but I'm already old and don't want to lose another year. I have always strongly wanted to go to a top uni and the fact that I cannot despite of being a capable student is bugging me so much, especially when my classmates (who were so far below me last year) are easily succeeding. I hate my life

Is there any way I could transfer to a top university during my first years at an average medical school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hermionek)
    Is there any way I could transfer to a top university during my first years at an average medical school?
    Almost impossible. Most medical courses will not accept transfers between universities except under exceptional circumstances.

Because medicine is my new interest, I didn't take bio and could not apply to any of my dream unis except for Oxbridge. To compensate, I devoted my entire summer doing work experience, shadowing, volunteering and what not....only I know how freaking hard and time-consuming it was to get these opportunities in my city. Because I spent the entire summer on my medical experiences, I didn't get time to prepare for UKCAT/BMAT and flopped them. When it was time to apply, I also got lower predicted grades than I deserved due to teacher changes.
    Some universities like to see constant work rather than everything over one summer, so don't know how they'd take take. Also what do you mean by dream unis except for Oxbridge? Did you apply to Oxbridge or you couldn't? Also universities won't care that you 'didn't have time'. Medicine is a lot of time management too. Sorry if this sounds harsh but simply most universities do not give a ****.

I know I can apply next year but I'm already old and don't want to lose another year.
    How old is old o.O I started Medicine later than most on my course, and I know someone else even older than me apply to Medicine. Nobody is ever too old to start.

ReputationRep:
    CASE: I am a medicine applicant. Because medicine is my new interest, I didn't take bio and could not apply to any of my dream unis except for Oxbridge. To compensate, I devoted my entire summer doing work experience, shadowing, volunteering and what not....only I know how freaking hard and time-consuming it was to get these opportunities in my city. Because I spent the entire summer on my medical experiences, I didn't get time to prepare for UKCAT/BMAT and flopped them. When it was time to apply, I also got lower predicted grades than I deserved due to teacher changes.

I'm so pessimistic about my future that I don't even feel like studying. I know I can apply next year but I'm already old and don't want to lose another year. I have always strongly wanted to go to a top uni and the fact that I cannot despite of being a capable student is bugging me so much, especially when my classmates (who were so far below me last year) are easily succeeding. I hate my life

I think it would be highly highly unlikely for that to be possible. By all means you could email universities to ask, but I don't think it would be possible at all "during the first years" of the course.

There is perhaps a very very very small chance of a transfer for the clinical years, perhaps to London or Oxbridge, but I think that would be unlikely too. It does occasionally happen though.

But really, stuff like "average medical school", "top university" etc don't matter in medicine. Career success is based on stuff like postgrad exams, research, clinical experience etc, not which medical school you went to. Seriously, if you look at application forms, you'll see that which uni you went to simply does not matter.

Do you have any medicine offers so far? I presume it's too early for offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with both of the above comments. I think you would have to have a very good reason for a university to accept a transfer (e.g. a terminally ill relative or something else very serious); I've never heard of people transferring to another medical course at another university. As above, there isn't really such a thing as a 'top university' in Medicine; a medical degree is a medical degree.

because I spent the entire summer on my medical experiences, I didn't get time to prepare for UKCAT/BMAT and flopped them.
    Also in agreement with Blazingphoenix that this won't wash with universities. Sorry to be blunt, but every other medical applicant has to jump through those same hoops, and anyone who ends up with an offer will have managed to do sufficiently well on the UKCAT/BMAT and got the requisite work experience in the same time period you've had.

I'm so pessimistic about my future that I don't even feel like studying.
    I get feeling dispirited; we've all been there. But giving in when you come up against a minor hurdle (taking a bit more time than you expected) is not really compatible with a medical degree, or a career as a doctor. Medicine is full of situations where you have to be flexible and able to overcome personal challenges, and anyone with a fixed idea of how they want everything to turn out is likely to be disappointed.

I know I can apply next year but I'm already old and don't want to lose another year.
    How old is 'old'?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.