Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it wrong to start your personal statement with something funny? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've started mine with quite an unusual introduction, though it does honestly suggest how I got into politics. I'd post it here but I don't really want to get done for plagiarism, so if somebody with experience doesn't mind me pm'ing them the sentence - let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Go on PM me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily think it's the end of the world. Just important to remember that humour is subjective.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to read. Feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    PM me if u want
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't directly answer your question, but for maths I would have had the chutzpah to start with something like:

I applied Game Theory at the butcher's the other day. He bet me £10 that I wouldn't be able to reach these pieces of meat on these hooks from the ceiling. I said the steaks were too high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wikia)
    I've started mine with quite an unusual introduction, though it does honestly suggest how I got into politics. I'd post it here but I don't really want to get done for plagiarism, so if somebody with experience doesn't mind me pm'ing them the sentence - let me know!
    By pming people there is a risk that someone may like it so they copy, just saying lol

ReputationRep:
    don't send it to anyone! These people could copy it - don't listen to their intentions as you cannot tell if they're lying. show it to your school or something but posting it to a stranger is just stupid.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You should submit your PS to Submitted PS reviews where a PS reviewer will take a look at it once completed.

I wouldn't trust the users here with your PS.... Seeing that most the people here are currently writing theirs, your PS would be perfect for them to copy.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wikia)
    Don't PM random TSR users

Humour *can* be ok but it's not ideal. Unfortunately it often doesn't translate well to text and not everyone shares a sense of humour. If your opening is more about a slightly ridiculous situation or a naive understanding of a situation then that's safer than just whacking in a gag or a pun.

Where are you applying? If they've got over 85% offer rates on Which university then go for it. If they have offer rates ~70% or lower then it's riskier but still up to you. For some people they wouldn't want ot study with staff who are completely deadpan serious anyway so having something a little lighthearted is a way of testing whether you're a good fit with the department
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    You should submit your PS to Submitted PS reviews where a PS reviewer will take a look at it once completed.

I wouldn't trust the users here with your PS.... Seeing that most the people here are currently writing theirs, your PS would be perfect for them to copy.
    Or more likely the biggest risk with sending your PS to strangers is that they might not be as careful with it as you are - do you trust them not to post it elsewhere online or send it on to their friends or even just leave their email address/TSR account logged on on a shared computer...

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I would avoid humour because they might find in immature, but if it is actually relevant to your course then I don't see why you shouldn't include it

ReputationRep:
    I just started mine with the cheesiest opening I could think of tbh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.