Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Name change advice. What do I do about this issue with the OU? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Tricky one, I want to change my name but they are saying it'll need to be signed by a court or solicitor. Online information tells me this isn't the case, a deed poll is a deed poll regardless, just needs two signatures. You only need it legalised if you're abroad. So now I have to pay money because of this, and I'd rather not. Any advice at all?

I'm scared about questioning them on this also lmao.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukauu)
    Tricky one, I want to change my name but they are saying it'll need to be signed by a court or solicitor. Online information tells me this isn't the case, a deed poll is a deed poll regardless, just needs two signatures. You only need it legalised if you're abroad. So now I have to pay money because of this, and I'd rather not. Any advice at all?

What does this have to do with OU, do you want them to issue your diploma under your new name? I'll move this thread into the Advice on everyday issues forum, hopefully someone there knows the answer to your question.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukauu)

Some people can be a little bit tricky about a deed poll that hasn't been witnessed by a solicitor - it doesn't really make sense as to why, but if this is the case, you'll just have to get it done.

It usually only costs about £5 for a solicitor to witness a document, so it doesn't break the bank!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Some people can be a little bit tricky about a deed poll that hasn't been witnessed by a solicitor - it doesn't really make sense as to why, but if this is the case, you'll just have to get it done.

It usually only costs about £5 for a solicitor to witness a document, so it doesn't break the bank!
    Ty I thought it costed a lot before posting this. Really doesn't make sense haha. But oh well. Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.