Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been working for a pharmacy part of a large firm for just over 2 years now. I started off at a Saturday girl but now I work there as my full part-time job, as I'm having a gap year. When I first started doing additional days, they varied week to week as I did want some weeks off to enjoy summer and some weeks to earn some money. My branch manager says the company is not allowing shop staff (me) to be put on permanent contracts unless they do the additional NVQ course to be a dispenser, which I am not being allowed to do as they know I'm having a gap year and will not be there for much longer. They don't see it as worthwhile.

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and hard place because currently, I'm only contracted for my Saturdays, so the holidays I get are simply based on working Saturdays. I can work 4-5 days during the week and these are all put down as overtime, so I get literally no benefit to doing them (other than being paid lol). There are members of staff doing same job as me working less hours than me who are on a contract because they started before me. I am starting to feel like I'm exploited. It does feel like a zero hours contract in that I have no rights as to when I work as there is no stability. I don't really want the hassle of looking for another job as I have settled in now and it wouldn't be worth it just for a few months. But the pay at this place is not even minimum wage. A lot of the days I usually work the shop is closed for Christmas holidays, so I will have no wages for about a fortnight. This worries me. I'm also worried if I need time off e.g. for sickness, I will be left in the lurch and obviously not paid a penny. It is out of my branch managers hands and down to head office but they won't budge

ReputationRep:
    What are you getting paid if it isn't the minimum wage? If it is under, your employer is breaking the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    What are you getting paid if it isn't the minimum wage? If it is under, your employer is breaking the law.
    I'm 18 and yes I am paid over the £3.89 mark thankfully but I was meaning the minum wage in general. A lot of places employ people my age and do pay the same rate, and do pay at least £7.50 an hour. I just think the combination of no contract and rubbish money is a bit much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by javvyjingle)
    I'm 18 and yes I am paid over the £3.89 mark thankfully but I was meaning the minum wage in general. A lot of places employ people my age and do pay the same rate, and do pay at least £7.50 an hour. I just think the combination of no contract and rubbish money is a bit much.
    I see, I would try looking for other jobs if you are feeling unhappy about your current one. There are plenty of jobs which will give you more rights and more money, don't feel you have to stay at this one.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by javvyjingle)
    I have been working for a pharmacy part of a large firm for just over 2 years now. I started off at a Saturday girl but now I work there as my full part-time job, as I'm having a gap year. When I first started doing additional days, they varied week to week as I did want some weeks off to enjoy summer and some weeks to earn some money. My branch manager says the company is not allowing shop staff (me) to be put on permanent contracts unless they do the additional NVQ course to be a dispenser, which I am not being allowed to do as they know I'm having a gap year and will not be there for much longer. They don't see it as worthwhile.

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and hard place because currently, I'm only contracted for my Saturdays, so the holidays I get are simply based on working Saturdays. I can work 4-5 days during the week and these are all put down as overtime, so I get literally no benefit to doing them (other than being paid lol). There are members of staff doing same job as me working less hours than me who are on a contract because they started before me. I am starting to feel like I'm exploited. It does feel like a zero hours contract in that I have no rights as to when I work as there is no stability. I don't really want the hassle of looking for another job as I have settled in now and it wouldn't be worth it just for a few months. But the pay at this place is not even minimum wage. A lot of the days I usually work the shop is closed for Christmas holidays, so I will have no wages for about a fortnight. This worries me. I'm also worried if I need time off e.g. for sickness, I will be left in the lurch and obviously not paid a penny. It is out of my branch managers hands and down to head office but they won't budge
    3 places. They should let you know.

1. ACAS http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042
    2. CAB https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/
    3. Law centre http://www.lawcentres.org.uk/i-am-looking-for-advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.