Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I really would appreciate advice for this one

I just took my SAT Subject testing for 3 subjects this Nov and told collegeboard to send them off as soon I as I get it. Now, I'm super scared because I think I may have done really badly and I asked to send the scores to top unis Stanford , Harvard etc. My question is how much would they look into the SAT Subject testing scores for these universities. Does it play a huge factor, e.g. like 20% of the application, because I feel as if I may have just wasted my entire application by sending off scores which could end really badly.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how much SAT II scores weigh in the overall decision, but I don't think it weighs more than your personal statement, extra curricular activities and grades. Have you checked to see if it's possible to change what happens to your score? Also consider, that you might have done better than you think. As there are students who have thought the opposite of you in regards to their scores (that they did well but then it turns out they didn't score as high as they expected).

What were the 3 subjects you tested in? Why did you take them?

ReputationRep:
    I took Maths 2, Physics and Chem. I took them because I am interested in studying engineering or science style degrees, I feel like I my have got like a 600 and I'm worried especially as an international applicant applying for top universities. Do you have an idea whats the benchmark score to applying high level universities?
    (Original post by apple32)
    I don't know how much SAT II scores weigh in the overall decision, but I don't think it weighs more than your personal statement, extra curricular activities and grades. Have you checked to see if it's possible to change what happens to your score? Also consider, that you might have done better than you think. As there are students who have thought the opposite of you in regards to their scores (that they did well but then it turns out they didn't score as high as they expected).

What were the 3 subjects you tested in? Why did you take them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemBoy1)
    I took Maths 2, Physics and Chem. I took them because I am interested in studying engineering or science style degrees, I feel like I my have got like a 600 and I'm worried especially as an international applicant applying for top universities. Do you have an idea whats the benchmark score to applying high level universities?
    I do not know what type of scores they are looking for. I asked about the subjects you tested in because if anyone were to ask me what SAT II tests they should take, my answer would be only the ones you know you can do well in and don't try to do too much since you already have so much on your plate from your regular studies. So I'm hoping those subjects are your strongest in school. You've already taken the tests though so the best thing is to hope for the best. If your grades in school on those subjects are strong, you shouldn't have much to worry about. You'll just end up taking those classes in uni, except for the math course. For the math course you will need to take a math placement exam before the year begins (if you get accepted). Then your score will determine what course you need to start in.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Most schools don't report their average admitted students' test scores for the SAT subject tests, but essentially the more competitive the unis are the higher they'll expect your scores to be. E.g. Harvard probably won't look favourably on a 610 score.

A very rough guide, bearing in mind some more/less competitive schools will have different views of these score ranges -
    Below 600: big red flag
    600-650: low average
    660-700: upper average
    710-750: good
    760-800: excellent

Each score range also varies by the test you're taking, and the students who tend to take it. You can figure this out by looking at average scores and the percentiles of students who got a particular score. For example, the average score for the Korean language test is very high (760) because most people who sit the test are native or near-native speakers, while the average score for math I is a lot lower (605) because more people who aren't great at the subject sit the test.

However, test scores definitely aren't the be-all and end-all of your application. Admissions officers are a lot more interested in your grades and essays, and standardised tests are a way of generally comparing you to everyone else in the applicant pool because it's so diverse. Even if you haven't done as well as you hoped on the tests, there's definitely still hope! Good luck!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.