Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in the process of chosing my a levels and I am not sure whether to take biology or physics. I am better at memorising stuff than trying to understand it so biology may be better for me but I have heard that it is a lot of application of knowledge which I am not the best at. I would like to know:
    -What career options to a level biology & a level physics open up to? & which gives a wider range of career options?
    - Which is easier in terms of exams?
    - Which one would I find easier?

( also I am at a grade A/B in physics and with biology I get a mix of A*/C's)

ReputationRep:
    Both subjects are extremely difficult and both have a wide range or career prospects.

Biology is not just memorising facts. It is a lot of application and many score lowly in the exam because they struggly to apply their knowledge

Physics is extremely difficult however if you have a strong maths brain and understand concepts well you will be fine

With regards to careers, Physics can easily get you into any sort of engineering career which pays very highly.

Biology can take you into healthcare science, working for the NHS, forensics etc.

Both can take you into teaching and research and also if you fancied it- Law. Both careers could take you into becoming a patent attorney but i suggest you do some research into that if it interests you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edenart02)
    I am currently in the process of chosing my a levels and I am not sure whether to take biology or physics. I am better at memorising stuff than trying to understand it so biology may be better for me but I have heard that it is a lot of application of knowledge which I am not the best at. I would like to know:
    -What career options to a level biology & a level physics open up to? & which gives a wider range of career options?
    - Which is easier in terms of exams?
    - Which one would I find easier?

( also I am at a grade A/B in physics and with biology I get a mix of A*/C's)
    Physics and biology are vastly different. I would recommend you think about which subject you prefer, because this is likely to be the subject you will do best in. You shouldn't take a subject because someone thinks it's easy; A Levels are regulated to be around the same level of difficulty and this is also subjective. If you take physics or bio and you hate it, you're unlikely to find it easy to gather the motivation to study.

Maybe you should discuss your options with a physics or bio teacher to get a real scope and understanding of the subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayleighm18)
    Both subjects are extremely difficult and both have a wide range or career prospects.

Biology is not just memorising facts. It is a lot of application and many score lowly in the exam because they struggly to apply their knowledge

Physics is extremely difficult however if you have a strong maths brain and understand concepts well you will be fine

With regards to careers, Physics can easily get you into any sort of engineering career which pays very highly.

Biology can take you into healthcare science, working for the NHS, forensics etc.

Both can take you into teaching and research and also if you fancied it- Law. Both careers could take you into becoming a patent attorney but i suggest you do some research into that if it interests you
    Ok thanks for the reply it was very useful, my maths is strong but not very strong and I'm not sure if I will struggle with biology so I might take both along with graphics and psychology and then drop either physics or biology (depending on which one I find the easiest/hardest)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)

Physics and biology are vastly different. I would recommend you think about which subject you prefer, because this is likely to be the subject you will do best in. You shouldn't take a subject because someone thinks it's easy; A Levels are regulated to be around the same level of difficulty and this is also subjective. If you take physics or bio and you hate it, you're unlikely to find it easy to gather the motivation to study.

Maybe you should discuss your options with a physics or bio teacher to get a real scope and understanding of the subjects.
    Ok, I will do more research into both and I do find parts of biology really interesting and the topics for a level physics seem interesting so I'll have to see which one I enjoy the most.

ReputationRep:
    What other a levels are you doing?Are you considering what degree or job you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    What other a levels are you doing?Are you considering what degree or job you want to do?
    Graphics & psychology
    And I don't know what I want to do as a career but certain aspects of both interest me ( maybe something to do with neuroscience with biology or astrophysics with physics )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.