The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Physics- conservation and dissipation of energy

A student pushes a trolley of weight 150N up a slope of length 20m. The slope is 1.2m high.
If the student pushed the trolley up the slope at constant speed, explain why all the work done by the student was not transferred to the gravitational potential energy store of the trolley. [3 marks]

(Its taken from the AQA GCSE Physics book by OXFORD)
Pls help :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Did u get ur answer? Because I have the same question :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Plantsarelife
Did u get ur answer? Because I have the same question :smile:

Hi, yes, i figured out that some work done would convert to sound energy due to the wheels squeeling when they spin, to heat energy due to the wheels causing friction.

Hope this helps, Tomas
Hey could you explain it more. I still don’t get it since I have the same question ☹️
Hey I still don’t get it. Would you mind explaining it ☹️ Since I have the same question
Change in GPE (J,joules) = weight (N,newtons) x height (m,metres)
Original post by ScienceloverR
Hey I still don’t get it. Would you mind explaining it ☹️ Since I have the same question

Change in GPE (J,joules) = weight (N,newtons) x height (m,metres)
Original post by tomas530
A student pushes a trolley of weight 150N up a slope of length 20m. The slope is 1.2m high.
If the student pushed the trolley up the slope at constant speed, explain why all the work done by the student was not transferred to the gravitational potential energy store of the trolley. [3 marks]

(Its taken from the AQA GCSE Physics book by OXFORD)
Pls help :smile:

It's probably too late, but just in case:
Work is done by the student as energy is transferred from the chemical store in their muscles to the kinetic and gravitational potential energy stores of the trolley. However, not all energy will be converted to GPE, as there will be some dissipation of energy as a result of friction between the trolley and the ramp. This will increase the temperature of the surroundings.
(Physics was always my worst science, someone correct me if I'm wrong). Hope this helps xx

Latest