Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What political party do you support and why? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Are you labour, tory, libdem etc? And why

ReputationRep:
    Conservative party because it's the only party strong enough to keep the dreadful and ridiculous Labour party out of power.

Bring on the hate TSR!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I don't vote or support a political party; I just like to go with the flow because I'm a lazy sod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaz254)
    Conservative party because it's the only party strong enough to keep the dreadful and ridiculous Labour party out of power.

Bring on the hate TSR!!!
    Wow very controversial lol

ReputationRep:
    Conservative. Because I believe that market capitalism has been responsible for the greatest improvement in human life in history, because I don't like meddling in other people's business, because I believe in the unity of the United Kingdom and because I believe the centre ground is where we best drive change from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayleighm18)
    Any anti-immigration party would be on my short list. That way you don't lose your country, and you can boycott employers if they don't pay enough because they can't bring people in from outside to work on the cheap.

I am a Corbynite. Not a Labour supporter. Most Labour MPs wouldn't recognise leftism if it grew a moustache and built a million statues of itself.

ReputationRep:
      None.

Firstly because I am a revolutionary anarchist. I dont believe we can affect significant and meaningful change to the system by taking part in yhe system.

Secondly, because judging by the amount of campaigning that goes on in my constituency no party wants my vote.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      Moved to UK Politics which is broadly more relevant to the OP

ReputationRep:
      Conservatives.

I'm pro free-market and pro-entrepreneurship. Disgustingly so. In fact, I think the latter is the reason why the West grew so rich so quick. For more info read McCloskey's Bourgeois books.

I'm anti-paternalist and don't want the state or anyone else telling people what they should do with their lives. Within reason ofc. I do support other undertakings by the state wherever it has proved itself capable - namely, basic research and building basic infrastructure. But really, very few things beyond that.

I am not totally opposed to social insurance in case of accident or misfortune. This is contingent though, it's not a "right". I don't think Nigeria for example can afford a social safety net. But the UK can and it should provide for those who're unable to fend for themselves. And those only.

I also support a strong military and strong defence. Almost nobody talks about that anymore in the UK mainly, I assume, 'cos of its fantastic geographical location (away from potential "enemies") and, ironically enough, because of the awesome success of the EU in preventing wars between great Euro powers.

So, that.

ReputationRep:
      UKIP (if any) because they combine a tough stance on immigration (without being ultra-radical), and are fairly economically left.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AngeryPenguin)
      I am a Corbynite. Not a Labour supporter. Most Labour MPs wouldn't recognise leftism if it grew a moustache and built a million statues of itself.
      So you were also carried away by the popularity wave?

ReputationRep:
      I would consider my myself a 'Thatcherite'. I still vote Conservative, if only to keep Corbyn out of no. 10 at the last election.

ReputationRep:
      I've voted Labour and Lib Dem in the past but lean more towards the latter, while we have FPTP it's only Labour or Tory so I'd choose Labour.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kayleighm18)
      I support the AfD in Gemany

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Danny the Geezer)
      UKIP (if any) because they combine a tough stance on immigration (without being ultra-radical), and are fairly economically left.
      They're not though, their policies are geared towards free-trade and low tax/low spend.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/po...cherism-alive/
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Labour.

I believe in a mixed economy, strong union rights, public ownership of key industries and regulation of the markets.

I believe in a version of capitalism certainly, but not the dog eat dog capitalism we've had since Thatcher.

While Labour don't have all the answers, they at least recognise the problems young people face with housing, debt and the cost of living. Not to mention the importance of public services.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by L i b)
      Conservative. Because I believe that market capitalism has been responsible for the greatest improvement in human life in history, because I don't like meddling in other people's business, because I believe in the unity of the United Kingdom and because I believe the centre ground is where we best drive change from.
      Considering the current and likely future leadership of the Tories, it really doesn't seem you have that much in common with them anymore.

On what you post, you seem more of an orange booker, than someone aligned with the current Tory party.

ReputationRep:
      Tories. Would eat my own limbs before even considering Labour.

ReputationRep:
      I support myself and volunteer to be the PM. 🙋🏽 I can negotiate better than Theresa May. I've made more deals than she's said the words 'strong' and 'stable'
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.