Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question: if you're a first author/co-author on a project that gets presented (either as oral or poster presentation) but you are not the author that presented it, can you/should you include it on your CV? If so how do you go about it so that you make it clear you didn't present it but were still part of it/helped create it? Similarly if the poster/oral presentation wins a prize, can you mention that too on CV even though you're not the person who presented it? Again, if so, how would you do this (still in prizes section of CV, etc)?

Thanks!

Having the same problem too! I have separate presentation/research/prizes section on my CV. I have not put the project in my presentations section but just put

ReputationRep:
      It should definitely be included. But you'd need to make it clear that you didn't present, and I'm not sure what the "best" way to do that is.

ReputationRep:
      Include it, with the list of authors in the correct order, and highlight your name in that list. To make it even clearer, you could put [presenter] by the name of the person who actually presented it.

ReputationRep:
      Would definitely include these. Personally, to the side of the title for the main section i put in brackets (* denotes presenter), then list all presentations in chronological order (separated into international, national, regional) with authors in order of contribution, my own name bolded, and the presenting author asterisked

ReputationRep:
      I include them all and have never bothered indicating who presented. Surely it's the research itself that matters and not who stands up to run through some PowerPoint slides for 5 minutes? Should you make a special note of who put up the poster at a conference as well? Or indicate which co-author physically pressed "submit" when sending a manuscript to a research journal? I guess you would need to indicate who presented if the question specifically asks for "research that you have presented" rather than just a generic box in which to list "presentations".

If I were scoring an application, I would probably assume that the first author presented unless I was told otherwise. A lot of conferences require the first name to be the presenting author. If you really want to indicate who presented (I still don't think this really matters) then you could underline or place an asterisk next to that person's name.

In terms of prizes, I've always just provided the abstract details (authors, title, conference, etc) and then added some bold text at the end, e.g. "Winner of the XXX Prize for Best Poster".

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.