kodakid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I will be having my Mental Health Nursing hub placement at a local hospital (for 6 weeks beginning January 15th then 8 weeks beginning 21st May)

I am currently in accommodation near my university. I don't drive and it would take almost 2 hours to commute (2 buses, 2 trains then a bus there and the same back) so that would be completely unfeasible (pretty much the same commuting time to travel from my family home too). I will, therefore, have to apply to stay in hospital accommodation, which I am anxious and stressed about.

In particular, I am asking for any medical/nursing/midwifery/pharmacy etc. student who has experienced living in hospital accommodation for the purposes of doing practice placements to share their experiences with me. What is it like generally? Is it lonely? How do you cope?

IF YOU HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE OF LIVING IN HOSPITAL ACCOMMODATION AS A STUDENT THEN IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU! But honestly, I would be grateful for any reassurance from anyone regardless of this

I understand that getting hospital accommodation makes way more sense than commuting all that way. It will also be way easier to be able to walk 5 mins to and from the hospital to start and finish my shifts rather than getting buses and trains at god know what time of day. And I will hopefully be able to get the cost of the accommodation refunded through the NHS Learning Support Fund through the Dual Accommodation Fund. So financially it's not a problem. Before I was really excited about starting placements, but now I'm just very stressed...
Swagio
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I haven't but my best mate was put in a hospital 70 miles away and could only get a 2 hour train there, which wouldn't arrive for 8am so had to move there for 9 weeks. We aren't provided with hospital accommodation so rent rooms from private landlords who usually offer students rooms. She was pretty miffed at first and tried to change it, but got used to it and enjoyed the placement and wasn't as bad as she expected. I think the key was finding out who else was placed there and who she was living with and chatting to them before or getting to know them whilst on placement as they're all in the same position.
kodakid
Rep:
?
(Original post by Swagio)
I haven't but my best mate was put in a hospital 70 miles away and could only get a 2 hour train there, which wouldn't arrive for 8am so had to move there for 9 weeks. We aren't provided with hospital accommodation so rent rooms from private landlords who usually offer students rooms. She was pretty miffed at first and tried to change it, but got used to it and enjoyed the placement and wasn't as bad as she expected. I think the key was finding out who else was placed there and who she was living with and chatting to them before or getting to know them whilst on placement as they're all in the same position.
Thanks for sharing that with me. I will hopefully be able to get on-site accommodation so that should make my life easier. I think I will definitely need to make an effort to connect with people once I'm there, as it's likely they will be feeling the same as me!
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kodakid)
I will be having my Mental Health Nursing hub placement at a local hospital (for 6 weeks beginning January 15th then 8 weeks beginning 21st May)

I am currently in accommodation near my university. I don't drive and it would take almost 2 hours to commute (2 buses, 2 trains then a bus there and the same back) so that would be completely unfeasible (pretty much the same commuting time to travel from my family home too). I will, therefore, have to apply to stay in hospital accommodation, which I am anxious and stressed about.

In particular, I am asking for any medical/nursing/midwifery/pharmacy etc. student who has experienced living in hospital accommodation for the purposes of doing practice placements to share their experiences with me. What is it like generally? Is it lonely? How do you cope?

IF YOU HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE OF LIVING IN HOSPITAL ACCOMMODATION AS A STUDENT THEN IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU! But honestly, I would be grateful for any reassurance from anyone regardless of this

I understand that getting hospital accommodation makes way more sense than commuting all that way. It will also be way easier to be able to walk 5 mins to and from the hospital to start and finish my shifts rather than getting buses and trains at god know what time of day. And I will hopefully be able to get the cost of the accommodation refunded through the NHS Learning Support Fund through the Dual Accommodation Fund. So financially it's not a problem. Before I was really excited about starting placements, but now I'm just very stressed...
Just to let you know I've removed some of the information about places etc. from your original post.

It's not a good idea to post your accommodation and placement location on TSR as you can potentially be identified, thus putting you at risk, especially if you work shifts and travel alone.

This is just for your own safety
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

It is only for a few weeks - so just enjoy the change of scenery. I trained many many years ago and had to move into hospital accommodation for my mental health placement too. It was different but heck sometimes you have to move outside your comfort zone.

Hope it goes well - like I said it is only a few weeks.
kodakid
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
Just to let you know I've removed some of the information about places etc. from your original post.

It's not a good idea to post your accommodation and placement location on TSR as you can potentially be identified, thus putting you at risk, especially if you work shifts and travel alone.

This is just for your own safety
Thanks, that's appreciated. I'll definitely be more aware of this in the future!
kodakid
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
It is only for a few weeks - so just enjoy the change of scenery. I trained many many years ago and had to move into hospital accommodation for my mental health placement too. It was different but heck sometimes you have to move outside your comfort zone.

Hope it goes well - like I said it is only a few weeks.
Yeah, I'm trying to see the positives in it and I think a change of scene will be good for me; an adventure if you like! It's really nice to hear from someone who's been there and done that. Thanks!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks, that's appreciated. I'll definitely be more aware of this in the future!
I have both lived in hospital accomodation as a student and now as a medical doctor (on-call), around various hospitals in the country!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads