Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will be having my Mental Health Nursing hub placement at a local hospital (for 6 weeks beginning January 15th then 8 weeks beginning 21st May)

I am currently in accommodation near my university. I don't drive and it would take almost 2 hours to commute (2 buses, 2 trains then a bus there and the same back) so that would be completely unfeasible (pretty much the same commuting time to travel from my family home too). I will, therefore, have to apply to stay in hospital accommodation, which I am anxious and stressed about.

In particular, I am asking for any medical/nursing/midwifery/pharmacy etc. student who has experienced living in hospital accommodation for the purposes of doing practice placements to share their experiences with me. What is it like generally? Is it lonely? How do you cope?

IF YOU HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE OF LIVING IN HOSPITAL ACCOMMODATION AS A STUDENT THEN IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU! But honestly, I would be grateful for any reassurance from anyone regardless of this

I understand that getting hospital accommodation makes way more sense than commuting all that way. It will also be way easier to be able to walk 5 mins to and from the hospital to start and finish my shifts rather than getting buses and trains at god know what time of day. And I will hopefully be able to get the cost of the accommodation refunded through the NHS Learning Support Fund through the Dual Accommodation Fund. So financially it's not a problem. Before I was really excited about starting placements, but now I'm just very stressed...

ReputationRep:
    I haven't but my best mate was put in a hospital 70 miles away and could only get a 2 hour train there, which wouldn't arrive for 8am so had to move there for 9 weeks. We aren't provided with hospital accommodation so rent rooms from private landlords who usually offer students rooms. She was pretty miffed at first and tried to change it, but got used to it and enjoyed the placement and wasn't as bad as she expected. I think the key was finding out who else was placed there and who she was living with and chatting to them before or getting to know them whilst on placement as they're all in the same position.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swagio)
    I haven't but my best mate was put in a hospital 70 miles away and could only get a 2 hour train there, which wouldn't arrive for 8am so had to move there for 9 weeks. We aren't provided with hospital accommodation so rent rooms from private landlords who usually offer students rooms. She was pretty miffed at first and tried to change it, but got used to it and enjoyed the placement and wasn't as bad as she expected. I think the key was finding out who else was placed there and who she was living with and chatting to them before or getting to know them whilst on placement as they're all in the same position.
    Thanks for sharing that with me. I will hopefully be able to get on-site accommodation so that should make my life easier. I think I will definitely need to make an effort to connect with people once I'm there, as it's likely they will be feeling the same as me!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kodakid)
    I will be having my Mental Health Nursing hub placement at a local hospital (for 6 weeks beginning January 15th then 8 weeks beginning 21st May)

I am currently in accommodation near my university. I don't drive and it would take almost 2 hours to commute (2 buses, 2 trains then a bus there and the same back) so that would be completely unfeasible (pretty much the same commuting time to travel from my family home too). I will, therefore, have to apply to stay in hospital accommodation, which I am anxious and stressed about.

In particular, I am asking for any medical/nursing/midwifery/pharmacy etc. student who has experienced living in hospital accommodation for the purposes of doing practice placements to share their experiences with me. What is it like generally? Is it lonely? How do you cope?

IF YOU HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE OF LIVING IN HOSPITAL ACCOMMODATION AS A STUDENT THEN IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU! But honestly, I would be grateful for any reassurance from anyone regardless of this

I understand that getting hospital accommodation makes way more sense than commuting all that way. It will also be way easier to be able to walk 5 mins to and from the hospital to start and finish my shifts rather than getting buses and trains at god know what time of day. And I will hopefully be able to get the cost of the accommodation refunded through the NHS Learning Support Fund through the Dual Accommodation Fund. So financially it's not a problem. Before I was really excited about starting placements, but now I'm just very stressed...
    Just to let you know I've removed some of the information about places etc. from your original post.

It's not a good idea to post your accommodation and placement location on TSR as you can potentially be identified, thus putting you at risk, especially if you work shifts and travel alone.

This is just for your own safety

ReputationRep:

It is only for a few weeks - so just enjoy the change of scenery. I trained many many years ago and had to move into hospital accommodation for my mental health placement too. It was different but heck sometimes you have to move outside your comfort zone.

Hope it goes well - like I said it is only a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte's Web)
    Just to let you know I've removed some of the information about places etc. from your original post.

It's not a good idea to post your accommodation and placement location on TSR as you can potentially be identified, thus putting you at risk, especially if you work shifts and travel alone.

This is just for your own safety
    Thanks, that's appreciated. I'll definitely be more aware of this in the future!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    It is only for a few weeks - so just enjoy the change of scenery. I trained many many years ago and had to move into hospital accommodation for my mental health placement too. It was different but heck sometimes you have to move outside your comfort zone.

Hope it goes well - like I said it is only a few weeks.
    Yeah, I'm trying to see the positives in it and I think a change of scene will be good for me; an adventure if you like! It's really nice to hear from someone who's been there and done that. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's appreciated. I'll definitely be more aware of this in the future!
    I have both lived in hospital accomodation as a student and now as a medical doctor (on-call), around various hospitals in the country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    I have both lived in hospital accomodation as a student and now as a medical doctor (on-call), around various hospitals in the country!
    What I can say is - the facilities varies a lot according to the location of the placement. As a student - for one of placement the accomodation for students were excellent, nice new blocks away from the hospital (as in still on site, but not physically connected) and it's a new build. There is also an ensuite (and best of all it's free!) At another placement the accomodation was slightly worse - shared kitchen and toilet but still new build.

Now as a doctor the accomodation we have are generally appalling (to say the least). They are usually built when FY1 (or PRHO before 2005) accomodation was provided for free so this would have been when the hospitals were built?! For example at Derby, the (now-demolished) Derbyshire Royal Infirmary had an eyesore of an accomodation for doctors - complete with rat infestations and lack of toilet roll (of course shared toilets!). Usually these accomodation are connected to the hospital physically, or part of the hospital. It really depends on where you are staying. If you want more information about specific hospitals - feel free to PM!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.