Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My school is making us do our science mocks on topics we havent been taught yet! For example in Chemistry we've only learnt C1-5 but our exam is also going to have C6-10! My exam is in less than a month and I dont know how to do it as I dont have time to revise for all my subjects and teach myself the biology, chemistry and physics topics. I've also already complained and got told to deal with it :/

ReputationRep:
    I would prioritise what you've actually learnt and are going to be tested on fairly, if you have the time then maybe go through some past papers as most schools use past papers for mocks, so you could get an idea of what the questions will be and instead of trying to learn whole topics you can just learn the answers to a few questions! i wouldn't worry about it too much though as mocks are not the most important thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thirteenreasons)
    I would prioritise what you've actually learnt and are going to be tested on fairly, if you have the time then maybe go through some past papers as most schools use past papers for mocks, so you could get an idea of what the questions will be and instead of trying to learn whole topics you can just learn the answers to a few questions! i wouldn't worry about it too much though as mocks are not the most important thing!
    we're doing some papers that some organisation called pixl has made so it definitely wont be a past paper :/ I'm just worried because technically the highest im going to be able to get is 50%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sxhxl)
    we're doing some papers that some organisation called pixl has made so it definitely wont be a past paper :/ I'm just worried because technically the highest im going to be able to get is 50%
    I would focus on what you can revise, after all, everyone in your class/year is in the same boat, and a whole class of bad grades is going to reflect badly on the teachers rather than the individual students!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sxhxl)
    My school is making us do our science mocks on topics we havent been taught yet! For example in Chemistry we've only learnt C1-5 but our exam is also going to have C6-10! My exam is in less than a month and I dont know how to do it as I dont have time to revise for all my subjects and teach myself the biology, chemistry and physics topics. I've also already complained and got told to deal with it :/
    Hopefully your marks will take into account that you haven't been taught the whole syllabus yet. If you have already said something, and nothing has changed, it doesn't look like much can be done. Just revise what you have been taught.

ReputationRep:
    Will this not affect my sixth form though as sixth forms would like to know my predicted grade's when i apply, and my predicted grades will go down due to this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sxhxl)
    Will this not affect my sixth form though as sixth forms would like to know my predicted grade's when i apply, and my predicted grades will go down due to this?
    Chances are, they won't base your predicted grades on this single mock.

What year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sxhxl)
    Honestly the sixth forms you apply to don’t care. They only care about your real gcse results so you could apply with low predicted grades and after day after results day if u fulfilled their entry requirements than you’ll most likely get it in.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Chances are, they won't base your predicted grades on this single mock.

What year are you in?
    11, and I think they will because my current predicted grades are based on my year 10 mocks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icypricy)
    Honestly the sixth forms you apply to don’t care. They only care about your real gcse results so you could apply with low predicted grades and after day after results day if u fulfilled their entry requirements than you’ll most likely get it in.
    A sixth form I’m applying to says I have to be predicted a*’s(8’s or 9’s) in more than 5 subjects to be allowed to pick a 4th subject, which I really want to do ://

ReputationRep:
    if I was you just be honest to your science teacher. after your lesson, go up to them and tell them you want to do well, but don't know any of c6-10, so what can you advise me to do? this way the teacher (who will be marking your paper) can see your commitment and might even throw in a little tip too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sxhxl)
    A sixth form I’m applying to says I have to be predicted a*’s(8’s or 9’s) in more than 5 subjects to be allowed to pick a 4th subject, which I really want to do ://
    Do you have another set of mocks coming up after these ones?

ReputationRep:
    no this isnt fair.
    I think you should talk to the teachers, and i think you should do some research on the topics you haven't yet done so you know some information of them and start revising them

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't you be revising already

ReputationRep:
    I' ve been given gcse mocks for every lesson next week

ReputationRep:
    Still no I'm saying it"s fair

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read any of the other replies, but I'll give my piece on the topic. This happens a lot, and by a lot, I mean almost all the time.

You're just going to have to prep for exams yourself beforehand.

Shuffling down, I can see some concerns for sixth-form? If you call them in on results day, you'd be surprised how many just give you a palace as long as you've got sufficient grades.

They don't really care about mock grades, more so actually GCSE's. A lot of people get booted off on results day because the results they got weren't good enough. People who didn't get in the first time round should use this to their advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sxhxl)
    Lot's of schools do mock exams this way and use exam papers that include topics that haven't been taught to every class yet. Any predicted grade they produce for you will be based in part on how you do in the mock but your teachers will take into account how much you have been taught so far and use their experience to determine what they think you will finally be capable of.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.