Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sheepy's Official 2017 GYG Thread Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    I think it's probably due to the wording of the questions, I'm not getting any of stats :dry:
    You're being asked to standardise and deviate. The deviate being deviation according to the standardisation.

What does standardisation mean in this context?:holmes:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be added to the quote list! :closedeyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Wow RoyalSheepy look, you've made Paracosm post outside of the Chat section :shock:
    Welcome to the best section on TSR :woo:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Wow RoyalSheepy look, you've made Paracosm post outside of the Chat section :shock:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    i loveeeeeee this thread
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    You're being asked to standardise and deviate. The deviate being deviation according to the standardisation.

What does standardisation mean in this context?:holmes:
    Name:  ??? meme.png
Views: 11
Size:  297.7 KB

Gladly add you to it! :hugs:

(Original post by Lemur14)
    I think you'll find the Entertainment section is the best section on TSR :smug:

HappyJellyfish

(Original post by clouddbubbles)
    i loveeeeeee this thread
    Aw, thank you! :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    Tyty :jumphug::giggle:

And is that a good thing or a bad thing? :erm::wink2:

I.h8.stats.com
    I think you'll find it's a good thing :hmmmm:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    x
    Give me about an hour, and I'll be able to give you some proper thoughts.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Give me about an hour, and I'll be able to give you some proper thoughts.
    Well that went badly.
    Name:  ??? meme.png
Views: 11
Size:  297.7 KB
    Right, so you know the process of converting your exam mark to a number out of 100 ?
    Otherwise known at the Uniform Mark Scale (UMS). That process is through standard deviation. :yep:

When you apply for a job, you put your grades down don't you? Not what you got out of 75 in each Maths exam. Why is that? Well because you might be applying along with someone who did a different Maths exam. You may have a better score than them out of 75, but what if your exam was easier? You cannot compare them.:nah:

So in order to interpret/compare statistic, we often standardise them. In this example, convert them to a Uniform Mark and from that produce a grade.

They set the grades using normal distribution like this....

Now they don't just make up where the conversions fall. Exam boards and government will set what percentage of students should get an A, a B and so on. The way it works is your exam will be marked first. You'll get a mark out of 75, and so will every other person in the country who did that paper. The exam board then knows how many people got 75, how many got 74, how many got 73 etc. they then look at their target for the number of students who should be awarded an A. They'll then find the nearest value, above which that percentage of people will receive an A. The grade boundary is then set. All students who got about that boundary are then distributed out with UMS marks between 80 and 100, which fit with that bell shaped curve. They'll then do the same for a B grade and so on and so forth.

I should point out that the whole thing is based on the principle that roughly the same number of students each year should get an A. That principle assumes that each year group has the same collective intellect as the one before, and the one after and every other: which isn't true.:nah:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well that went badly.
    Right, so you know the process of converting your exam mark to a number out of 100 ?
    Otherwise known at the Uniform Mark Scale (UMS). That process is through standard deviation. :yep:

When you apply for a job, you put your grades down don't you? Not what you got out of 75 in each Maths exam. Why is that? Well because you might be applying along with someone who did a different Maths exam. You may have a better score than them out of 75, but what if your exam was easier? You cannot compare them.:nah:

So in order to interpret/compare statistic, we often standardise them. In this example, convert them to a Uniform Mark and from that produce a grade.

They set the grades using normal distribution like this....

Now they don't just make up where the conversions fall. Exam boards and government will set what percentage of students should get an A, a B and so on. The way it works is your exam will be marked first. You'll get a mark out of 75, and so will every other person in the country who did that paper. The exam board then knows how many people got 75, how many got 74, how many got 73 etc. they then look at their target for the number of students who should be awarded an A. They'll then find the nearest value, above which that percentage of people will receive an A. The grade boundary is then set. All students who got about that boundary are then distributed out with UMS marks between 80 and 100, which fit with that bell shaped curve. They'll then do the same for a B grade and so on and so forth.

I should point out that the whole thing is based on the principle that roughly the same number of students each year should get an A. That principle assumes that each year group has the same collective intellect as the one before, and the one after and every other: which isn't true.:nah:
    Ohhhh, I'm starting to get it... :laugh: So it's like a comparison sorta thing?

Wow, fair play 04MR17, you know your stuff! :yep: Wish you could replace my maths teacher! :lol:

Spoiler:
    Show

Also, apologies for not uploading an update yesterday! There will definately be an update tonight! :yep:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh, I'm starting to get it... :laugh: So it's like a comparison sorta thing?

Wow, fair play 04MR17, you know your stuff! :yep: Wish you could replace my maths teacher! :lol:

Spoiler:
    Show

Also, apologies for not uploading an update yesterday! There will definately be an update tonight! :yep:
    Yeah there is a purpose to it, and that usually comes in the form of being able to compare data from different contexts.

With the applied units, you can either try to make sense of it with its real life purpose, or you take any sort of context away and try to do it just thinking about the mathematical method: practice the mathematical process as much as you can. You can do either.way, but the contextual questions in S1 can be a challenge if you don't think of these ideas in their application.

I dont know about that. S1 was not popular with my class either. I personally disliked it, but it was my best unit with 97/100.:eek: That was a huge surprise for year 12 results day.

Don't worry about updates. It tends to mean you're working.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Update #2 - I hate colds

Apologies for the late update (which is another short one)!

As you can see from the title, this week I haven't been feeling too well! A cold has got the better of me... Because of that, I've felt drained over the past couple of days, which also meant I didn't get as much work done as I wanted :sad:

So this week, I've managed to master factorising cubic equations :ahee: - something I was struggling on for a very long time, last year. However, I do need to brush up on my dividing cubic equations (long division method). That, unfortunately, I still don't get :laugh: That along with the whole of statistics

Biology, I'm feeling a little more confident about! :yes: I seem to be understanding everything, a lot better than last year! (Probably because I listen in lessons now ) The only thing I still don't get is Protein structures, but I need to keep reading over my notes for it, until it finally clicks

And finally, Chemistry, I seem to be alright in this year! Everything seems a lot easier this year (again, probably due to the fact that I actually listen in lessons now :rofl: ). And my teacher is actually happy with my progress in lessons this year! :woo:

So for lunch, I drove down to Tesco (which is just down the road... I'm very lazy :laugh: ) for a meal deal, which I tend to do every day. But the £3 a day, I've only just realised, has really taken a toll on my bank account :lol: (£3*5 =£15*4= £60 in a month! :/ )

Sorry for keeping this update a little brief... Let's hope I get better soon, so I can actually do some work... :/

Sheep

(Original post by EmilySarah00)
    x
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    x
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    x
    x
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    x
    (Original post by _gcx)
    x
    (Original post by Black Water)
    x
    (Original post by em_lj)
    x
    (Original post by luberry)
    x
    x

ReputationRep:
    Update #2 - I hate colds

As you can see from the title, this week I haven't been feeling too well! A cold has got the better of me... Because of that, I've felt drained over the past couple of days, which also meant I didn't get as much work done as I wanted :sad:

So this week, I've managed to master factorising cubic equations :ahee: - something I was struggling on for a very long time, last year. However, I do need to brush up on my dividing cubic equations (long division method). That, unfortunately, I still don't get :laugh: That along with the whole of statistics

Biology, I'm feeling a little more confident about! :yes: I seem to be understanding everything, a lot better than last year! (Probably because I listen in lessons now ) The only thing I still don't get is Protein structures, but I need to keep reading over my notes for it, until it finally clicks

And finally, Chemistry, I seem to be alright in this year! Everything seems a lot easier this year (again, probably due to the fact that I actually listen in lessons now :rofl: ). And my teacher is actually happy with my progress in lessons this year! :woo:

So for lunch, I drove down to Tesco (which is just down the road... I'm very lazy :laugh: ) for a meal deal, which I tend to do every day. But the £3 a day, I've only just realised, has really taken a toll on my bank account :lol: (£3*5 =£15*4= £60 in a week! :/ )

Sorry for keeping this update a little brief... Let's hope I get better soon, so I can actually do some work... :/

Sheep

Get well soon my favourite Sheepy! :jumphug::heart:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Update #2 - I hate colds

So for lunch, I drove down to Tesco (which is just down the road... I'm very lazy :laugh: ) for a meal deal, which I tend to do every day. But the £3 a day, I've only just realised, has really taken a toll on my bank account :lol: (£3*5 =£15*4= £60 in a week! :/ )

Long division is easy enough.

It comes with practice.:yep:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    £60 a month, right? :p:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Update #2 - I hate colds

So for lunch, I drove down to Tesco (which is just down the road... I'm very lazy :laugh: ) for a meal deal, which I tend to do every day. But the £3 a day, I've only just realised, has really taken a toll on my bank account :lol: (£3*5 =£15*4= £60 in a month! :/ )

Sheep

Get well soon bud :hugs:

Laughed very hard at this.

ReputationRep:

RoyalSheepy looks like writing this when you were super tired had it's consequences :laugh:
    (You're welcome?)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Get well soon my favourite Sheepy :jumphug:
    ewwww, you again :puke:

Spoiler:
    Show

Long division is easy enough.

It comes with practice.:yep:
    It's very confusing Sheepy no like confusing stuff

I'm tired :sad: And ill

AngeryJellyfish
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I h8 thee Paracosm :eviltongue:

Spoiler:
    Show

:heart:

RoyalSheepy looks like writing this when you were super tired had it's consequences :laugh:
    (You're welcome?)
    I should probs sleep :lol:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I'm tired :sad: And ill

AngeryJellyfish
    :console:

Submit reply
Updated: November 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.