Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

He dumped her because she forgot to put her make up on? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laissez‒faire)
    Surely that means you should encourage them to wear less?
    That was not supposed to say 'as much make up as possible' that was my mistake, I didn't read that back.

However, no, I think women should wear as much make up as they want, it is their face after all.
    Despite this, although I think make up can make a woman seem classy and well put together, if one is to wear enough make up to deem her unrecognisable compared with her bare face, then she should be prepared for situations like this where men will be disappointed/annoyed with what she looks like without it, seeing as it is suggested that men look for physical attractiveness above all else when selecting a partner.

The whole issue of women wearing "too much make up" is much more complex than telling a woman it's wrong to look "deceptive". There are immense societal pressures, especially on young women, regarding appearance. Not only are women relying on make up but also surgery, it's now common practise for women to undergo surgical procedures, which from a psychological standpoint is done as they want to be seen as "most attractive" in order to attract good quality male partners. The whole issue is very controversial and a delicate subject, which is understandable.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest she can do better.

Now I can understand a guy realising that his girlfriend looks different to what eh thought putting him off a bit, however his response is beyond childish and immature. Least he could do is be honest.

I'd recommend she cut him off and find someone who can communicate, No time for this nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AcadeMia.)
    That was not supposed to say 'as much make up as possible' that was my mistake, I didn't read that back.

However, no, I think women should wear as much make up as they want, it is their face after all.
    Despite this, although I think make up can make a woman seem classy and well put together, if one is to wear enough make up to deem her unrecognisable compared with her bare face, then she should be prepared for situations like this where men will be disappointed/annoyed with what she looks like without it, seeing as it is suggested that men look for physical attractiveness above all else when selecting a partner.

The whole issue of women wearing "too much make up" is much more complex than telling a woman it's wrong to look "deceptive". There are immense societal pressures, especially on young women, regarding appearance. Not only are women relying on make up but also surgery, it's now common practise for women to undergo surgical procedures, which from a psychological standpoint is done as they want to be seen as "most attractive" in order to attract good quality male partners. The whole issue is very controversial and a delicate subject, which is understandable.
    Of course, I don't think anyone wants makeup forbidden, but it'd be wise to wear less for your own sake to avoid situations like OP's.

Just to add, women also pretty much put looks above everything, especially while younger, surgery is getting common among men too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laissez‒faire)
    Of course, I don't think anyone wants makeup forbidden, but it'd be wise to wear less for your own sake to avoid situations like OP's.

Just to add, women also pretty much put looks above everything, especially while younger, surgery is getting common among men too.
    Yes I do agree with that, it would be wise to wear little make up so there's no significant shock when revealing a bare face. However it doesn't mean I'd personally encourage minimal make up as it's none of my concern what women wear on their faces.

Well I do see where you're going with this, and undoubtedly women place high importance on looks however, women tend to prioritise status, wealth etc. Above looks, this doesn't mean they are willing to date ugly men as long as they're wealthy (even though this is the case for some) all it means is that a man who isn't incredibly attractive but rather average looking with a high status or a larger income is held as high as/if not more than a highly attractive, broke man

ReputationRep:
    Damn

Boy got catfished

ReputationRep:
    This ''friend'' is clearly you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess kimber)
    My friend is 21 and has been seeing this guy who is 22 for just over a month.

They spend every day together but she's never slept over at his house.
    Until last weekend that is. They get on really well and she said she loved being at his house and loved spending time with him, that he is caring and sweet etc..

But she said the next morning when he came up with some breakfast in bed with her.
    When he walked in the room with her brekkie he looked at her in a weird way and she had no idea why. She said it was just for a brief second then he kind of looked normal again. But apparently, He was acting different, a bit standoffish.

She couldn't think of anything she'd done wrong but asked him if he was ok as he was quiet. He said he was fine and she thought no more of it. Untill she went to shower in the bathroom and change and looked in the mirror. Then it dawned on her that her make-up had come off completely.. and she'd forgotten to touch it up before he woke.

She's one of these girls who wears quite a lot, and she's stunning with it on but slightly above average with it off.

She went home about an hour after as she had college that afternoon.
    Now this saturday and he's not really answering her messages properly. It takes him ages to reply (it never used to) and he just writes the bare minimum response. When she rings it goes to voicemail or he answers but she's struggling to make conversation with him as he doesn't really say much to her. She told me he sounded really awkward as if something was wrong.

She know thinks he has dumped her/ or is about to dump her because he saw her with no make up. She said it explains why he gave her a strange look then was funny with her afterwards.

Would a guy really act like this?
    If he is acting like this then he doesn't seem to care much about her. It wouldn't be surprising to have an odd reaction to seeing her without make up on, but that reaction is immature and doesn't show him to have a strong connection with anything but products. She can do better than him as looks will eventually go and personality is all that can sustain any relationship.

ReputationRep:

Until last weekend that is. They get on really well and she said she loved being at his house and loved spending time with him, that he is caring and sweet etc..

But she said the next morning when he came up with some breakfast in bed with her.
    When he walked in the room with her brekkie he looked at her in a weird way and she had no idea why. She said it was just for a brief second then he kind of looked normal again. But apparently, He was acting different, a bit standoffish.

She couldn't think of anything she'd done wrong but asked him if he was ok as he was quiet. He said he was fine and she thought no more of it. Untill she went to shower in the bathroom and change and looked in the mirror. Then it dawned on her that her make-up had come off completely.. and she'd forgotten to touch it up before he woke.

She's one of these girls who wears quite a lot, and she's stunning with it on but slightly above average with it off.

Now this saturday and he's not really answering her messages properly. It takes him ages to reply (it never used to) and he just writes the bare minimum response. When she rings it goes to voicemail or he answers but she's struggling to make conversation with him as he doesn't really say much to her. She told me he sounded really awkward as if something was wrong.

She know thinks he has dumped her/ or is about to dump her because he saw her with no make up. She said it explains why he gave her a strange look then was funny with her afterwards.

It's sad that he's being a child about it but does it completely change her face when it's off / on? I could see why he'd be blindsided if a girl suddenly looked completely different without makeup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    He feels cheated

He thought he was getting an Iphone X
    but when he got it home and took it out the box he realised underneath all the pretty packaging it was just an Iphone 4

If you wear 3 pounds of makeup and jump from a 6 to a 9 ...then don't be surprised if you get a bit of a undesirable reaction when the guy see's you without your mask
    I'm sorry but a guy would have to be incredibly stupid to be so taken aback when he finally see's a girl without make up. Does he really think the glittery eyeshadow and lipstick are there naturally?

It's not hard to see when someone is wearing a lot of make up so surely he knew she would look very different once she took it off?

ReputationRep:

Your boyfriend was a moron (if make up is the reason, that is).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    I'm sorry but a guy would have to be incredibly stupid to be so taken aback when he finally see's a girl without make up. Does he really think the glittery eyeshadow and lipstick are there naturally?

It's not hard to see when someone is wearing a lot of make up so surely he knew she would look very different once she took it off?
    Maybe he didn't know how hideous she was without it

Can we not agree that her wearing makeup in the first place may have initialised the misconception that she was in fact attractive? Clearly her choosing to wear makeup has deceived her partner of her actual looks - thus making him dump her as he has been betrayed.

If she wasn't seeking a partner who is focused upon looks over personality, perhaps deploying 'makeup' as a means of initiating a relationship, was not a wise move to make?

He’s lost sexual interest her, which probably suggests he wasn’t interested in anything other than her looks in the first place.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like he's just a stupid l'il f'k boi - he was probably going to start going cold around now anyway, whether he saw her without makeup or not. Your friend shouldn't blame herself for his pathetice behaviour - she should stop chasing after him for validation and maybe get some counselling to get to the bottom of why she pins so much of her self-esteem on whether immature idiots give her attention or not.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.