Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    If anyone has been to this please tell if it's worth going costs about £175
    Thank🙃

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    I've been using this forum to plan my interview prep, finally found a reason to fully sign up. I just returned from a course with the medic portal and feel that I haven't learned any more than I could have by reading information online. My course and questions were run by students. I am attending an ISC course soon, hopefully it will be much better!

In short, my advice, the medic portal is over rated.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bernard Albert)
    I've been using this forum to plan my interview prep, finally found a reason to fully sign up. I just returned from a course with the medic portal and feel that I haven't learned any more than I could have by reading information online. My course and questions were run by students. I am attending an ISC course soon, hopefully it will be much better!

In short, my advice, the medic portal is over rated.
    Many students (me included) didn't go on courses like these. Just keep asking questions here if you have any!

ReputationRep:
    Thousands of people who have not done these ££ courses pass medicine interviews. So that tells you that they are not essential prep.

And btw, at interview med schools can spot these rehearsed and over-slick answers a mile off - and they will deliberately then ask you an oblique question to test that, ie. is this 'learnt' or can you actually communicate spontaneously? That is when Medic Portal folk always fall apart.

Spend your money on something else

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! This forum has been an amazing amount of help. It surprises me how much of a reputation the medic portal has in schools and on this website. It worries me that people are paying so much right before their interviews to get better prepared for their interviews.

Unfortunately (and fortunately) I still have a lot of time as I haven't received an offer for an interview yet. I hear that they are still coming out, is that true? My school is terrible at providing information
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Thousands of people who have not done these ££ courses pass medicine interviews. So that tells you that they are not essential prep.

And btw, at interview med schools can spot these rehearsed and over-slick answers a mile off - and they will deliberately then ask you an oblique question to test that, ie. is this 'learnt' or can you actually communicate spontaneously? That is when Medic Portal folk always fall apart.

Spend your money on something else
    You are right. At my interview me and the other interviewer spotted someone who has clearly memorised all her answers. Let's say it didn't end well for her (at our medical school anyway). Robotic answers are a definite no-go.

ReputationRep:
    I still have a lot of time as I haven't received an offer for an interview yet. I hear that they are still coming out, is that true? My school is terrible at providing information
    There is a very long way to go re. interview invitations. Most Unis have only just started sending out invites and wont do it all at once.

If you haven't heard anything by March, then you need to start worrying.

ReputationRep:
    I went on a 6med one yesterday for 129 and it was amazing. They give you a very nice 250 page handbook as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zx12r1)
    I went on a 6med one yesterday for 129 and it was amazing. They give you a very nice 250 page handbook as well.
    I just attended their course as well and again, I was very disappointed. I found that (no offence to medical students) medical students teaching the course meant that my questions about medical ethics were very textbook based and not experience based. I felt like there was nothing I learnt that I didn't already know from being on this forum.

Strange that we had different experiences but maybe we had different expectations. I wanted a course who didn't just teach me how to make a "perfect" textbook response to specific questions, but a course that taught me how to formulate a thought process to attack any question.

From other reviews on this website and from talks with current students I have signed up for a course with the msag on saturday and their MMI circuit on sunday. Will report back!

Thanks to all for your help so far!

ReputationRep:
    The more expenisive these courses are, the less worthwhile they are. TSR is a goldmine.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Fareeharashid98)
    Hi,
    If anyone has been to this please tell if it's worth going costs about £175
    Thank🙃
    We're uploading some good YouTube tutorials tonight, and also use these threads and Google to prepare!

I hope your interview goes well!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its worth it for £175, I just signed up to the Conquer medicine one instead because its closer to me and its a lot cheaper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by komz123)
    I don't think its worth it for £175, I just signed up to the Conquer medicine one instead because its closer to me and its a lot cheaper!
    ooh that sounds really good, i just gave conquermedicine a quick look and they sound a lot better! Might give them a go, just think it'll be useful to know how an MMI is run and having a practise before my actual interview

ReputationRep:
    I just attended their course as well and again, I was very disappointed. I found that (no offence to medical students) medical students teaching the course meant that my questions about medical ethics were very textbook based and not experience based. I felt like there was nothing I learnt that I didn't already know from being on this forum.

Strange that we had different experiences but maybe we had different expectations. I wanted a course who didn't just teach me how to make a "perfect" textbook response to specific questions, but a course that taught me how to formulate a thought process to attack any question.

From other reviews on this website and from talks with current students I have signed up for a course with the msag on saturday and their MMI circuit on sunday. Will report back!

Thanks to all for your help so far!
    Hi, I was wondering how the course went ?
    I'm thinking of booking it as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by komz123)
    Hi how has the course been? Do let me know if it's worth booking!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely not work it paying over £100. I went to the MedScore event instead at Leeds a friend recommend them to me 😊

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.