Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To try to get a Training Contract or not to try Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, everyone!

I am currently an international student of Leiden University (the Netherlands), where I am graduating with BA in International Law, with a minor in Psychology and some additional electives in Political Science. My current grade (in US-style GPA) was low-ish, but is now getting closer to 3.4, with massive improvements starting this year. Besides studies, I had two brief internships in the past in my home city in a Business Development Unit of a respectable British-American law firm and a Tax Dispute Resolution Department of one of the Big Four accounting firms. Additionally, in the last year of my studies I got involved in a committee of my university that advises on various aspects of the structure of the academic programme, as well as advised the Admissions team on Draft Admissions criteria for students from my home country.

However, I don't have any idea now about what to do next. Should I attempt to get a training contract with a GDL? And do I have ANY standing chance, because I have a feeling that my grades might not be enough. Alternatively, would my chances increase if I were to do an LLM in my desired field of law and then a Senior Status LLB?

Any input will be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabelawyer97)
    Hey, everyone!

I am currently an international student of Leiden University (the Netherlands), where I am graduating with BA in International Law, with a minor in Psychology and some additional electives in Political Science. My current grade (in US-style GPA) was low-ish, but is now getting closer to 3.4, with massive improvements starting this year. Besides studies, I had two brief internships in the past in my home city in a Business Development Unit of a respectable British-American law firm and a Tax Dispute Resolution Department of one of the Big Four accounting firms. Additionally, in the last year of my studies I got involved in a committee of my university that advises on various aspects of the structure of the academic programme, as well as advised the Admissions team on Draft Admissions criteria for students from my home country.

However, I don't have any idea now about what to do next. Should I attempt to get a training contract with a GDL? And do I have ANY standing chance, because I have a feeling that my grades might not be enough. Alternatively, would my chances increase if I were to do an LLM in my desired field of law and then a Senior Status LLB?

Any input will be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance
    An LLM is unlikely to have big impact on increasing your chances, unless you were looking to work in a niche area of law. I definitely would not recommend a senior status LLB and an LLM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    An LLM is unlikely to have big impact on increasing your chances, unless you were looking to work in a niche area of law. I definitely would not recommend a senior status LLB and an LLM.
    Thanks, J-SP! But do you think (on the basis of what I've outlined) that I may have a standing chance at getting a TC?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabelawyer97)
    Thanks, J-SP! But do you think (on the basis of what I've outlined) that I may have a standing chance at getting a TC?
    Your GPA is slightly low, so this is going to be a slight obstacle - firms I know of are usually looking at GPA grades that are close to 3.5.

It’s really difficult to say why anyone’s chances are though. Someone with a perfect profile can easily screw up and have no chance if they can’t explain why they want the job with that particular firm, or even just with a couple of minor typos in their application.

You also have an additional challenge of also explaining why Law in the UK.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks for your constructive feedback, J-SP! Very much appreciated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.