The Student Room Group

How important are GCSE’s to universities??

I was a lazy little **** when I was doing my GCSEs and I underperformed for my potential ( I got 2 A*s, 4 As, 3 B’s and a C) but I’m doing well at A Level and I am predicted A*A*A. I am applying to unis for History and Politics and my top choices are Leeds and Manchester. I want to know if I have any chance of getting an unconditional offer with a good personal statement and good predictions but not so good GCSEs?
Original post by lucyjane99
I was a lazy little **** when I was doing my GCSEs and I underperformed for my potential ( I got 2 A*s, 4 As, 3 B’s and a C) but I’m doing well at A Level and I am predicted A*A*A. I am applying to unis for History and Politics and my top choices are Leeds and Manchester. I want to know if I have any chance of getting an unconditional offer with a good personal statement and good predictions but not so good GCSEs?

You are fine.
Only certain unis offer unconditionals. You will have to do your research.
I wouldnt be overconfident.

Not sure about unconditional offers, but you stand a very good chance of getting conditional offers.

I've only seen one University actually state on their website the weight your GCSE's and A-Levels have on your offer.

It said its:

- 20% based on your GCSE results
- 80% based on your A-Level results/predictions

I actually have very similar GCSE grades to you and A-Level predictions. I have already sent of my UCAS a few weeks ago and have heard from 4/5 of my Uni's. I have interviews at 3 and a offer from 1. Looking at how much they look at GCSE's and my outcome, chances of you getting an unconditional aren't the greatest since they usually all give out unconditionals to all-round candidates: Amazing GCSE's, A-Level predictions and a wide range of super curricular activities.

But who knows, I'm sure you'll get amazing offers even if you don't get an unconditional!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending