The Student Room Group

Boyfriend speaks Arabic

My boyfriend is from Jordan and speaks Arabic (along with English and German too). I only speak English, but I have started to learn some Arabic to show that I am interested in/care about his culture. Although he says I'm good (I think he is just saying that though), I think I am really bad at the language. My mouth just doesn't form the sounds correctly, and I feel self conscious when I speak.

If our relationship becomes more serious, then do you think this will be a problem in the future? Any advice or thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

No, if he can also speak English, how will it be a problem in the future??? My friends mom is Spanish but his dad is American but they have been together since 16 years old till present (idk what there age is).
Love knows no limits girllllll
Reply 2
I doubt it.

Speak in the language you feel comfortable speaking, you don't have to speak his native language.
Gurl, take a chill pill sister, s'ok he'll love you regardless of your pronunciation of the arabic language
That you're even making the effort to learn his language is a huge positive. Extra brownie points from his parents and immediate family. I guess fluent Arabic would be useful if you want to really connect with his extended family in the home country, but that's going above and beyond.
Nah, I’m sure that he’ll love the idea of being able to cuss, say things about you to annoy you when you get on his nerves and talk to your future children about how crazy mommy is behind your back without you knowing what he and they are saying :laugh:

On a more serious note, think it might promote some intimacy learning some words and sounds that are difficult. It’ll be useful to learn some I think, so yeah a plus. I’m sure he’ll understand. Hopefully he’s a good teacher.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh and if you’re having problems with crazy exes that isn’t going anywhere then please just get him to say goodbye to the girl so that she can have closure. He may not want to hurt her feelings or whatever but in the long run it’s for the best so she can move on. Can’t stay in contact with exes.
He's likely just saying you're good to encourage you, it's a common language teaching technique so just go with it and keep practising.

it's a really great and respectful thing to learn your partners native language, keep at it :smile:
It would be unreasonable of your boyfriend to expect you to speak Arabic.
As long as he doesn't speak Arabic to his friends when you're with him because that's just kinda rude. Unless the person he's speaking to cannot speak English then obviously that's ok.
@QE2 heres an interesting topic for you :smile:
Original post by MiszShortee786

maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why he'd care.
Original post by _gcx
maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why he'd care.

Because he was debating with me over the Arabic language on another thread.
Reply 13
Learning languages is good. Learning the language of your partner, or a country which you are going to visit is an important gesture.
Reply 14
This thread isn't about the Arabic language. It is about learing a different language. The thread would be exactly the same if the boyfriend spoke Finnish or Tagalog.
Original post by QE2
Learning languages is good. Learning the language of your partner, or a country which you are going to visit is an important gesture.

I didnt say it was.
Reply 16
I didnt say it was.
No, but I am.
Original post by QE2
No, but I am.

Right.
Girl the only words you gotta know is habibi and kelb. And Asalamu Aleykum :smile:

Hey, how can I pm you? Wanna ask you something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending