Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AH which one do I choose? (Dentistry, Medicine and Optometry) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Forewarning: I'm only in Year 12, but I need some sort of a plan so sorry if you think I'm overreacting
    Soo...I'm doing Bio Chem and Maths at A Level
    I wanted to do medicine but my mum is advising me to choose optometry as it's relatively less challenging in terms of work-life balance. I kinda feel like I may be copping out if I choose another course for the sake of it being easier tho. I also like Dentistry, as it was something I was interested in about 2 years ago.

The confusing bit, I'm a citizen of Canada as well as Britain so I don't know which degrees are the easiest to transfer over there, also what the difference in starting salaries are between the careers in Canada as well as the UK

Thank you in advance for your replies! (And for reading this essay!)

Medicine is very tough both academically, and on your life in general. The hours are long/unsociable and the training never stops. The nature of the job holds a lot of responsibility as well. Don't do what your mum tells you to do but she has a point. You need to think carefully whether or not you're willing to sacrifice a big part of your life for a very difficult but rewarding job.

Anyone who gets a decent healthcare degree can go on to do graduate medicine afterwards. The fact so few people do is kind of telling imo. I certainly am not willing to put up with the **** doctors deal with day in day out so I never even considered it after finishing by radiography degree.

I would probably post this thread in the medicine forum as well to get some opinions there. I think there's a lot of experience in there that should be able to help you out.

ReputationRep:
      This is your decision, so try not let your parents influence you in any way.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.