Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm studying A levels, currently taking:
    -Maths
    -Physics
    -Chemistry

I have always wanted to do a physics degree but understand that the pay in physics jobs isn't....great.
    Should I do a degree in Physics, or economics? Or, is it possible for me to do a degree in physics and then get a job in accounting or as an actuary?
    Thanks all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrystangerr)
    -Maths
    -Physics
    -Chemistry

I have always wanted to do a physics degree but understand that the pay in physics jobs isn't....great.
    Should I do a degree in Physics, or economics? Or, is it possible for me to do a degree in physics and then get a job in accounting or as an actuary?
    Thanks all.
    Physics degree =/= Physics career
    You’re not limited to a physics career. Physics is a respected degree.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Most Physics degree's specifically have economics modules already as an option as they know many people will go into finance etc. Life's not all about money, do a physics degree, if you love physics pursue it further, if not go into finance after. Most banks and firms don't really care about your degree as long as you have a 2.1/1st from a good uni and you have a strong level of maths (which you will have doing physics).

ReputationRep:
    If you like Physics and want to study it then study it. Don't do a degree you'll hate just because it supposedly has "better job prospects" I made that mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrystangerr)
    -Maths
    -Physics
    -Chemistry

Thanks all.
    Both have similar job prospects as they both tend to lead to 'need a degree but not a specific degree' careers. 8-9/10 people who study physics wont go on to work in it

Typical jobs for people with a physics degree
    - accounting, actuary, IB etc (basically most of finance)
    - software development
    - teaching
    - patent law
    - a few go into engineering
    - some people do another masters to retrain
    - consulting
    - any other general grad scheme that asks for any degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown-99)
    If you like Physics and want to study it then study it. Don't do a degree you'll hate just because it supposedly has "better job prospects" I made that mistake.
    This is only good advice if the op wants to do a career that they can gain access to with a physics degree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.