Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So some people in my year (A2) have gotten their offers back and some of them have received unconditional offers yet they haven't done their A levels?
    One of my close friends got an unconditional offer from York university to study media production and the grades they wanted was AAB and her predicted grades were ACD?
    Just confused really.

ReputationRep:
    Has your friend gone for an interview?

If so her P.S may have outstanding extra-curricular Media related things on it, and she may have performed exceptionally at interview as well?
    I know you may not know this but if she is disadvantaged in her health in some way and still managed to get an A predicted then that shows she is pretty good at her stuff, so that also may be factor.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, too many unknowns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauriee34)
    So some people in my year (A2) have gotten their offers back and some of them have received unconditional offers yet they haven't done their A levels?
    One of my close friends got an unconditional offer from York university to study media production and the grades they wanted was AAB and her predicted grades were ACD?
    Just confused really.
    Media production doesn't sound like a very popular/oversubscribed course, especially at York. This means they're probably desperate for students (aka 9.25k a year) so would be willing to give out unconditionals to entice people.

Universities never give out unconditional offers because they're nice. They're doing it to lock you in meaning you can't enter UCAS Adjustment on results day if you get better than expected results.

Don't be disheartened if you don't get an unconditional. I didn't but it didn't stop me from going to university. Also, getting an unconditional doesn't mean you can just drop that HB pencil and muck about for the rest of the year. A-Levels follow you for life, and are often used as a filter for graduate schemes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _RobbieL_)
    Has your friend gone for an interview?

If so her P.S may have outstanding extra-curricular Media related things on it, and she may have performed exceptionally at interview as well?
    I know you may not know this but if she is disadvantaged in her health in some way and still managed to get an A predicted then that shows she is pretty good at her stuff, so that also may be factor.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, too many unknowns.
    She hasn't been to any interviews and in her AS results last year she had C's and D's but one Distinction. thank you though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauriee34)
    Just confused really.
    From what I've seen and read around the web, these sort of 'unconditional' offers seem to be a marketing ploy from universities to get students to enrol into their unis. Remember at the end of the day, unis are a for profit business, and they need to meet a certain quota of students to be enrolling into a particular course. I'm not sure how it works, but I've even heard of instances where people were offered super low grades, at an unconditional, and even offered money (£2000) if they made that uni their firm.

Personally I find this sort of behaviour really sleazy and a cheap buy-out method from the unis side. If a uni did that to me, their appeal would diminish personally. It would put me off a bit, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Media production doesn't sound like a very popular/oversubscribed course, especially at York. This means they're probably desperate for students (aka 9.25k a year) so would be willing to give out unconditionals to entice people.

Universities never give out unconditional offers because they're nice. They're doing it to lock you in meaning you can't enter UCAS Adjustment on results day if you get better than expected results.

Don't be disheartened if you don't get an unconditional. I didn't but it didn't stop me from going to university. Also, getting an unconditional doesn't mean you can just drop that HB pencil and muck about for the rest of the year. A-Levels follow you for life, and are often used as a filter for graduate schemes.
    Sadly, this response is 100% correct.
    Average uni's just want to fill places for money. It's technically a scam, and it's quite sad because it means people often end up with worse A Level results and attend a worse uni to there preferred choice. The only time it becomes acceptable is when it was your first choice anyway and when you have your grades already (obviously).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf5238)
    From what I've seen and read around the web, these sort of 'unconditional' offers seem to be a marketing ploy from universities to get students to enrol into their unis. Remember at the end of the day, unis are a for profit business, and they need to meet a certain quota of students to be enrolling into a particular course. I'm not sure how it works, but I've even heard of instances where people were offered super low grades, at an unconditional, and even offered money (£2000) if they made that uni their firm.

Personally I find this sort of behaviour really sleazy and a cheap buy-out method from the unis side. If a uni did that to me, their appeal would diminish personally. It would put me off a bit, tbh.
    Depends how badly you want to get in. I know I would take a sleazy unconditional offer for my first choice uni any day of the week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _RobbieL_)
    Depends how badly you want to get in. I know I would take a sleazy unconditional offer for my first choice uni any day of the week.
    That is true :biggrin:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.